Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Tune Question

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default GT Tune Question

Hello everyone, recently i bought the Air Raid CAI / SCT combo from americanmuscle.com and installed a 91 Performance tune on my 06 GT. What a difference it made... completely shocked me. Back to the point though.

I noticed it uses alot more gas. Ive been arguing with someone about putting the tune to 91 STREET in stead of PERFORMANCE. they said that i will get much better gas mileage by just that. Will it actually make that much of a difference?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

It should help, also keeping your foot out of the skinny pedal so much would help too. You're likely using more gas because you are using the go pedal more to enjoy the gains from the intake & tune.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

You bought a GT for MPG?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mariusvt
It should help, also keeping your foot out of the skinny pedal so much would help too. You're likely using more gas because you are using the go pedal more to enjoy the gains from the intake & tune.
Definitely THIS^.

Originally Posted by mapitts
You bought a GT for MPG?
...and definitely THIS ^, too.

You're likely on it a lot more. Typically, if you drive the same as you did with the stock tune, you should see little change in fuel mileage.

It takes quite a few tanks of fuel and the awareness of whether or not there's anything from tank to tank that could be skewing the data to be able to discern any REAL gains or loss in fuel mileage. That includes having a ton of pre-tune data to back that up. If you're not hand calculating and logging that at each fill-up, you actually have no idea what your average fuel mileage is. The on-board is worthless for that.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Nuke
Definitely THIS^.

...and definitely THIS ^, too.

You're likely on it a lot more. Typically, if you drive the same as you did with the stock tune, you should see little change in fuel mileage.

It takes quite a few tanks of fuel and the awareness of whether or not there's anything from tank to tank that could be skewing the data to be able to discern any REAL gains or loss in fuel mileage. That includes having a ton of pre-tune data to back that up. If you're not hand calculating and logging that at each fill-up, you actually have no idea what your average fuel mileage is. The on-board is worthless for that.
Don't get the wrong idea, idc about the mustangs mileage that's why I have one, but living in the city + this tune I feel like it made it 3x worse. I drive it normally too I don't step on it- short shifting and all like just cruising. When you have to stop and go every 10 seconds because of moronic drivers and idiots that cross against lights it's worse than continuously moving.

I never even listen to the on-board either. I usually judge by how far I drive VS miles to empty. What id rather do is keep a street tune unless I go to a car meet or plan a drive/cruise with some friends, since we like to have a little fun sometimes. Good or bad ?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Just drive and enjoy it. You obviously didn't buy for mpg.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM
maurouen

Thanks so much for all information
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM
maurouen

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Hello everyone, recently i bought the Air Raid CAI / SCT combo from americanmuscle.com and installed a 91 Performance tune on my 06 GT. What a difference it made... completely shocked me. Back to the point though.

I noticed it uses alot more gas. Ive been arguing with someone about putting the tune to 91 STREET in stead of PERFORMANCE. they said that i will get much better gas mileage by just that. Will it actually make that much of a difference?
I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying your Bama tune! The reason your experiencing worse gas mileage is mainly because you're in the throttle a lot more right now, just seeing what your Pony's got . The Gas Mileage is going to be at the Mercy of your right foot. I actually noticed a gain of 3-5 MPG give or take in my 2011 GT once it was tuned!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

CAI and tune help mpg.. Just receiving 20 rear wheel horse power doesn't help your foot whatsoever!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT Tune Question