Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Susbscribing. I never heard of this as my last mustang was an SN95 and not a S197. Great info guys!!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
So I crawled under my car today to make an exhaust adjustment, and also see if my rear diff cover is leaking and noticed massive amounts of fluid covering the axle.

Took it down the street got it on a lift... The vent tube for the axle is pouring fluid out like there is no tomorrow.

I know I hear or read about a TSB on this issue, but couldn't find the TSB... But for those who know of it this is what you might be experiencing.
Hello Gary Ugarek,

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I changed the rear gears in mine from 3.31 to 3.73 and when I noticed this I pulled the plug when I got it on the lift sunday, but nothing came running out, I haven't been to the track since we changed the gears, but I have traveled 95 quite a bit in the last few weeks.

I am aware of the expansion of the fluid, but per my pics that is just way too much spew coming from the vent IMHO. Especially since I filled through the rear fill hole and not the diff cover fill hole.

If anything I would be slightly underfilled.

WOW... Is this your first new car or what? Ok. Just a little FYI here... I own 3 S197's & a '84GT, I've been around Ford's & Mustangs since I was a kid back in the 70's.... Im telling you right now that in those pics that were posted, I see nothing unusual here. THAT IS NORMAL FOR THESE TYPES OF AXLES. There was no dripping fluid, there was no indication of spattering fluid. The axle seal's are dry, the rear dif gasket is dry. There is some indication of moisture around the vent cap and axle, but spewing? C'mon man... ..... The amount of misinformation/misrepresentation out here blows my mind more than my wife does, next thing you know you be worried about your driveshaft blowing up because you read about it on some forum.... meh, kids...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
WOW... Is this your first new car or what? Ok. Just a little FYI here... I own 3 S197's & a '84GT, I've been around Ford's & Mustangs since I was a kid back in the 70's.... Im telling you right now that in those pics that were posted, I see nothing unusual here. THAT IS NORMAL FOR THESE TYPES OF AXLES. There was no dripping fluid, there was no indication of spattering fluid. The axle seal's are dry, the rear dif gasket is dry. There is some indication of moisture around the vent cap and axle, but spewing? C'mon man... ..... The amount of misinformation/misrepresentation out here blows my mind more than my wife does, next thing you know you be worried about your driveshaft blowing up because you read about it on some forum.... meh, kids...
Actually, I think this is his 3rd in under a year.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Good find, I am a tad worried now my 2013 is lowered with Eibach's. So I really want to get it up on a lift and take a look at it now.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I admit if a car is running fine. I don't crawl under it. I wait til I do an oil change or have it on a lift for exhaust work to take a look around. But I don't make it a weekly habit, the diff cover leak has made me crawl under it more frequently, but I was going under this time to adjust my exhaust as I heard it rattling against the frame (these Pypes bombs are getting tossed)

Hence I found the drip/leak from the vent tube.
Pypes products ugh, Yeah I'd toss them. My experience with Pypes products is about the same as everyone elses, poor fitement out of the box.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Zero issues with my Stainless Works you pay more for them but there is a reason for that.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I couldn't tell much difference in gear noise with the redline shockproof. It might be a tad less, but it's still noticeable when on/off the gas. It feels like there's a little more drag too, which I didn't expect.

I didn't see any new oil flow from the vent tube. Mine actually makes it up to the body of the car and it's been coating the axle for years, but I still got what looked like 2 full quarts out of the rear.

Last edited by moosestang; 05-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Had my TSB done, mine was splattered all over the underneath of the car. My vent tube was actually able to be removed by hand it was so loose.

But it is all fixed, fresh fluid, more friction modifier added.

They didn't even bitch about the new diff cover and 3.73's =O)

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 05-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
No this is my 25th Mustang, I have had 3 2013's. And yes it was an issue because when I took it in they were able to remove vent tube by hand.

And no it wasn't normal as my entire underneath was coated in Rear gear oil and the diff was down an entire quart.

So thank you for your input captain, and maybe next time you should shut up before commenting on a subject that you're not experiencing yourself.

I have had more mustangs in 2+ years than you currently own. Been driving these since 1988, and when you can remove a vent tube by hand without the wrench... that is a problem.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle