Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lowering my GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering my GT

Hey guys, I know there's an abundance of information on this, but I was thinking of lowering my car for cosmetic purposes mainly and handling as well.

I think a 1-1.5" inch drop is probably the most popular, and what I want to do. I don't want it very aggressive, just more aggressive. It seems the rear sits high on these cars, the front isn't bad at all though. I assume you can't just drop the rear.

So my question is: I was thinking of getting these springs from AM http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html because they have good reviews and are well priced.

I haven't a clue how to install them, though I'm sure I could, I'd rather bring it somewhere. How much would this probably run me? Also, what else needs to be replaced when lowering? I want it done right. I know an alignment is needed afterward. I don't want abnormal tire wear obviously.

And I'm not sure if it affects it but I may get an aftermarket 18 or 19 inch wheel/tire package down the line which may be staggered or definitely bigger tires, maybe I should wait until after that? Got the stock 235/18's now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

how about the eibach kits ? I heard lots of good reviews

wheels/ rims I'd say go with the lower possible size for your calipers. ride will be better.

if you have factory brakes, take 18, brembo 19.

19 tires are much more expensive than 18 or 20.

and yeah, take bigger tires. at least 275 on the back
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Hey guys, I know there's an abundance of information on this, but I was thinking of lowering my car for cosmetic purposes mainly and handling as well.

I think a 1-1.5" inch drop is probably the most popular, and what I want to do. I don't want it very aggressive, just more aggressive. It seems the rear sits high on these cars, the front isn't bad at all though. I assume you can't just drop the rear.

So my question is: I was thinking of getting these springs from AM http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html because they have good reviews and are well priced.

I haven't a clue how to install them, though I'm sure I could, I'd rather bring it somewhere. How much would this probably run me? Also, what else needs to be replaced when lowering? I want it done right. I know an alignment is needed afterward. I don't want abnormal tire wear obviously.

And I'm not sure if it affects it but I may get an aftermarket 18 or 19 inch wheel/tire package down the line which may be staggered or definitely bigger tires, maybe I should wait until after that? Got the stock 235/18's now.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, the SR Performance springs are definitely one of our most popular lowering springs. Mainly because of their Great Quality and very low price point! This set up won't be a ton more aggressive over stock but definitely a solid improvement (Exactly what you're looking for).

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan