Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
If 500 is your ultimate target and you plan to supercharge, the either will work fine. The aftermarket parts should be cheaper for the 4.6 but they are no longer casting the 4.6 blocks, so if eventually you want to go forged, you can easily get a brand new 5.0 block but the 4.6 will likely be a refurbished block.
All that said, I know when it comes to BIG power there is a weakness in the 5.0 design currently that hopefully will get worked out (the sportsman block is an attempt to resolve that weakness).
But at under 600 on the 5.0 you would be nowhere near the level to cause any issues with the current design.

I was at a mechanic when we did my heads/cams, they had a 2012 5.0 there and we noticed the block seemed to be cast slightly different when compared side by side. But I can say that my 5.0 with power in sig running to 7800rpms has lasted about 60 passes down the track at the current power level and is still running strong.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Lethal Performance O/R xpipe and duel pump fuel return style system, frpp 47lbs injectors, Vortech with 3.48 pulley, Boss heads/Cams, Aluminum Driveshaft, frpp 3.31 gears. pypes pypebomb cat back, mgw shifter. jlt intake, boss 302 intake manifold. bbk 85mm tb.
11.4@130 1/4 at a 3700 DA. (2.0 60ft)
721hp/525tq (tuned by Seminole Automotive Performance)
awbreyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbreyjd View Post
I was at a mechanic when we did my heads/cams, they had a 2012 5.0 there and we noticed the block seemed to be cast slightly different when compared side by side. But I can say that my 5.0 with power in sig running to 7800rpms has lasted about 60 passes down the track at the current power level and is still running strong.
Yeah, the water jacket at the top and bottom of the cylinders are what I'm talking about, in the mod motors, there was cast web at the 12 and 6 positions (to where rthe water jacket was mostly triangular) and you can find some images of where the cylinder has been splitting at the 12 position on cars making BIG power, and by BIG power I'm talking 850-900 and up, not something 99.9% are going to have issues with.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement