Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Chirp/squeak over bumps..anyone tried TSB 09-24-16?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 PM
flguy

Default Chirp/squeak over bumps..anyone tried TSB 09-24-16?

I have a 2007 GT Convertible manual trans. For years it's been making an annoying chirp/squeak when going over bumps or potholes at low to moderate speed. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear. Since I have a convertible I'm getting really annoyed by this and would like to find the solution.

Has anyone tried Ford TSB 09-24-16? "GRUNT/CREAK/SQUEAK/CHIRP NOISE FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING OVER BUMPS".

Or does anyone have advice how I can fix it myself? Everything is stock. Only 27k babied miles on pristine Florida roads. Temperature does not make a difference. I cannot duplicate in the garage. I have tried spraying pretty much everything under the car with WD-40 to no effect.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

that TSB is for a front control arm bushing.

yes, I've had that annoying chirp/squeak on my 2010 GT and my 2012 GT. On the 2010, the tech who worked on it had it for a couple of days and using chassis ears managed to fix it; I don't know what the exact repair was but the dealer said it had something to do with the fuel filler neck/pipe.

When I brought my 2012 in for the same complaint (to the same dealer!) they just slapped a stabilizer bar on it and called it good, and needless to say that didn't fix it.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM
flguy

Originally Posted by jz78817
that TSB is for a front control arm bushing.

yes, I've had that annoying chirp/squeak on my 2010 GT and my 2012 GT. On the 2010, the tech who worked on it had it for a couple of days and using chassis ears managed to fix it; I don't know what the exact repair was but the dealer said it had something to do with the fuel filler neck/pipe.

When I brought my 2012 in for the same complaint (to the same dealer!) they just slapped a stabilizer bar on it and called it good, and needless to say that didn't fix it.
Wow, they thought it had something to do with the fuel filler pipe? That's odd. The sound I hear isn't even coming from the left side of the car where the fuel pipe is, it's definitely coming from the right-hand side. Was yours on the right?

Also hard to believe both your stangs had the same issue. Crazy that Ford can't (or won't) fix these issues in production. So could it be the front control arm bushing? Or are you staying it definitely is/was NOT that in your case? I hate to give my car to the dealer only to have them race it around trying to duplicate the noise. That would give them a good excuse wouldn't it.

Is there any way you can find your record of the repair and tell me exactly what they did? I want to give my dealership all the help they can get! Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 PM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Most likely lower control arm bushings (rear). To confirm, shoot some WD-40 or similar lubricant into all four of the LCA bushings. That should make the squeak go away temporarily. Replacements LCAs (Ford Racing) are available from American Muscle for about $100 each - much cheaper than OEM parts. Easy to replace.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flguy
Wow, they thought it had something to do with the fuel filler pipe?
they did more than just think it was related to the fuel filler neck, they did something to it which fixed the problem.

That's odd. The sound I hear isn't even coming from the left side of the car where the fuel pipe is, it's definitely coming from the right-hand side. Was yours on the right?
I couldn't place which side of the car it seemed to be coming from; but in the cases I heard it I kind of heard it from the right side but that was because I was typically closer to a sound-reflecting surface (curb, wall, etc.) on the right side.

Also hard to believe both your stangs had the same issue. Crazy that Ford can't (or won't) fix these issues in production. So could it be the front control arm bushing? Or are you staying it definitely is/was NOT that in your case?
considering the first time they fixed it with whatever they did to the fuel filler neck and never touched the front control arm bushings, I'd say the front control arm bushings were definitely not it

I hate to give my car to the dealer only to have them race it around trying to duplicate the noise. That would give them a good excuse wouldn't it.
they drive Mustangs all the time. There's nothing special about your car or my car which would lead them to "race" around in them.

Is there any way you can find your record of the repair and tell me exactly what they did? I want to give my dealership all the help they can get! Thanks.
unfortunately no, I dumped the records when I traded in the 2010. And when I look up the warranty history I don't see anything because they didn't replace any parts.