Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2012 5.0 w/16k miles Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
ronnies_mustang_5o

I would like it escalated please. PM sent.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by ronnies_mustang_5o
I would like it escalated please. PM sent.
I received your PM, ronnies_mustang_5o. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Kaidis

Did it ever ocurr to you, that perhaps this elderly gentleman may have been partially deaf, and not heard the neighborhood kids stealing his car at night and destroying the clutch? heh just a thought. There's no reason a clutch should fail at that low of mileage unless someone is absolutely abusing it, or it was damaged from the factory.

Either way any new vehicle would come with a minimum 5 year-60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I believe the clutch is covered under that.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM
ronnies_mustang_5o

Originally Posted by Kaidis
Did it ever ocurr to you, that perhaps this elderly gentleman may have been partially deaf, and not heard the neighborhood kids stealing his car at night and destroying the clutch? heh just a thought. There's no reason a clutch should fail at that low of mileage unless someone is absolutely abusing it, or it was damaged from the factory.

Either way any new vehicle would come with a minimum 5 year-60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I believe the clutch is covered under that.
Well according to my Ford dealer, this probably has nothing to do with my clutch..I have my doubts about anything they say though. I really don't think they know what they're talking about for the most part.

After hiring a radiator shop to take apart my transmission and find absolutely nothing, they had him put it back together. Now they want him to replace the skip shift module, I have no idea how that's supposed to solve anything..
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 AM
ronnies_mustang_5o

I have the car back now..1st gear is even notchier than ever, and it's actually somewhat of a challenge just to use it..the car's engine light still flashes at WOT..fantastic..right about now I'm missing the reliability of my Hemi..warranty department is claiming 'there's nothing wrong with the transmission'. That's not what they said 3 weeks ago though.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronnies_mustang_5o
I have the car back now..1st gear is even notchier than ever, and it's actually somewhat of a challenge just to use it..the car's engine light still flashes at WOT..fantastic..right about now I'm missing the reliability of my Hemi..warranty department is claiming 'there's nothing wrong with the transmission'. That's not what they said 3 weeks ago though.
Does it come on and flash for 30 secs then go off and everything go back to normal? If so, i had this same issue. It took a few times for ford to fix it, first they "updated the software" which didnt work. Eventually they replaced the crank position sensor and it hasnt happened since, this was about a week ago.

I put some royal purple in my transmission too, it didnt seem to make any difference - feels almost exactly the same. Im kind of wondering if they didnt even put the royal purple in and just said they did and charge me for it, then took the fluid..

Its not that bad though, but i keep missing 2nd gear which is a bastard

Last edited by Andy13186; 08-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM
ronnies_mustang_5o

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Does it come on and flash for 30 secs then go off and everything go back to normal? If so, i had this same issue. It took a few times for ford to fix it, first they "updated the software" which didnt work. Eventually they replaced the crank position sensor and it hasnt happened since, this was about a week ago.

I put some royal purple in my transmission too, it didnt seem to make any difference - feels almost exactly the same. Im kind of wondering if they didnt even put the royal purple in and just said they did and charge me for it, then took the fluid..

Its not that bad though, but i keep missing 2nd gear which is a bastard
Finally some valuable information, thank you!! It does only flash for 30 seconds..they tried replacing the o-ring on the crank position sensor, but that didn't fix the problem. The transmission feels okay, but I have to be really firm with it..most other transmission I've driven feel smooth and confident, whereas mine is extremely stubborn and unpredictable.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Just FYI, blew my clutch up at 12.7k miles. They asked how I drove it, and to be completely honest I beat the s*** out of my clutch since mile 12. I have my reasons for driving it hard but either way busted 3 hub springs and had lots of material left with no hotspots on the flywheel (probably could of gotten away without resurfacing but wanted to anyways). End result, clutch is consumable unless a manufactures defect, so no warranty there.

Sorry you are in this **** storm of problems, honestly after I replaced my clutch, care is 100% better and shifts like butter! Still following this thread!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM
ronnies_mustang_5o

What I don't get, is that they removed the transmission and checked everything EXCEPT the freaking clutch. My car is getting harder and harder to put into gear, and it's even slipping out of gear from time to time. But according to them, there's nothing wrong with the transmission...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Screw it man, take it two a reputable transmission shop! My guy does free diagnosis! Let them drive it and ride along, any shop with good techs should be able to pinpoint without tearing it apar or at least ballpark it! I honestly think it the clutch but I am not super knowledgable about cars. Couldn't hurt to try, and for will not know

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 w/16k miles Clutch Slipping