Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

This is gonna be expensive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
5.ohhh

Default This is gonna be expensive...

First of all I wanted to say how extremely pleased I am with my new 5.0. I just bought a 2012 gt used with 15k on it that was the owner of the dealership. I couldn't be happier! I sold my 2012 camaro and got into this, and let me say ford nailed this car. Drives, feels, handles how American muscle should.

My problem is, I have been having difficulty not stomping on it at every chance I get it had brand new tires on it, and let me just say... The rear tires aren't quite as new anymore!

So now it starts. I bought this car with intentions of making it a long term project that I can work on for years to come. I have quite a list that I already have planned and I just have a couple questions.

I heard alot about the #8 failure and it being fixed in the later year 2012. I am not sure if mine is early or late 12 so how can I be safe if I tune. It was a certified used, so I have 100,000 warranty and don't want to completely blow it being only at 17,000. I really want to do 3.73 and tune and full exhaust but don't want to lose warranty.

Do long tune headers and exhaust require tune/ set of cel? I have done headers in prior cars and always ran a code. I think this could be a good starting point though because I don't think exhaust could be attributed to #8 failure if that does occur.

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Haha nice, good purchase you'll love it more and more I sure do. Where in FL are you? Can't tell you much about mods since I haven't done anything to mine and don't plan to until a little later due to my warranty but good buy post some pics.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

On the 5.0 as long as you don't go off road exhaust you should not need a tune. Also most tuners offer a warrenty with there tune if there is a #8 failure, talk to either bama, lund, AEM, etc.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM
5.ohhh

I am located in swfl. naples to be exact. I would love to post pics, but I cannot figure out how. I think I have to be a member for a longer period of time before it will let me. It's beautiful though, with the cs front end and Brembo brake package.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

TRMach1 I drive an 18 wheeler and last night in New Orleans I saw a perfect 2003-4 Mack1 just after reading the MF story about Ford bringing back the Mach1 in 2017.
Awesome car, does your's have the original five spoke wheels, shaker, basket weave leather seats? MF Story said they had a 32 valve 4.6 aluminum engine and I wondered how much would one those run? Can't be to many still running.

5.ohhh

Never seen or heard of a #8 problem anywhere but the internet. Might have been tunes based on the 05-09 years adapted badly to the Coyote 5.0 engine. The PCM code is on a sticker under your hood on the electrical box. Try googling it "PCM code 123456789 for Ford Mustang 2010" or some combo of that line. There is also an app somewhere on this site in which you can enter your Vin# and see all the info on your car, i.e... manufacture date, number of units, so on. They'll also sell you a certificate of your cars particulars.

Safest warranty route is to have Ford dealer do your mods, it's expensive and the tune is a "Pro Cal Tuner" all you'll get is better throttle response. I held-out then I said ****it and Boss intake, 93 custom tune, and other things to go bananas with. Haven't done LT yet so I'd ask AM if you got your tuner there because I think you need a tune for LT's, but not shorties.

I'm sure F/I Blow or Spray will void your warranty, just for the engine but the dealer can say the extra hp caused other failures due to excessive force. You should discuss it with them. If I was to do it again and wanted to keep it stock. The only three things I'd do:

1. Ford Racing short throw shifter with double bottom brackets($475), (not MGW or Barton, just because Ford dealer will only honor warranty unless FR parts are sold by and work is done by dealer).

2. FR Axil back Sports, one step up from the GT-500's at $700 you'll love the sound.

3. FR Pro-Cal tune($400-450), because any tune has to be better then none.

$1,625 plus installation.
That's it for the minimalists.
Later
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
On the 5.0 as long as you don't go off road exhaust you should not need a tune. Also most tuners offer a warrenty with there tune if there is a #8 failure, talk to either bama, lund, AEM, etc.
False, you will get a CEL with certain systems (not code referenced below). I did. Also Ford will not warranty any O2 sensors installed on LT or o/r systems, despite the TSB addressing the P2626 code I currently have. A few have said (second hand knowledge so....) that Kook's systems are the least likely to throw a code.

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
Haven't done LT yet so I'd ask AM if you got your tuner there because I think you need a tune for LT's, but not shorties.

1. Ford Racing short throw shifter with double bottom brackets($475), (not MGW or Barton, just because Ford dealer will only honor warranty unless FR parts are sold by and work is done by dealer).
Agreed, though some dealers will do transmission work under warranty with aftermarket short throws installed. I do not recall the s/n or thread but it was in the 5.0 tech section.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5.ohhh

Do long tune headers and exhaust require tune/ set of cel? I have done headers in prior cars and always ran a code. I think this could be a good starting point though because I don't think exhaust could be attributed to #8 failure if that does occur.

Thoughts?
You do need a tune for full exhaust and a gear change.

BTW, let me know if you want to see how it would handle with full suspension. I'm in Fort Myers so I could take you for a spin in my S197 sometime.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

First of all I wanted to say how extremely pleased I am with my new 5.0. I just bought a 2012 gt used with 15k on it that was the owner of the dealership. I couldn't be happier! I sold my 2012 camaro and got into this, and let me say ford nailed this car. Drives, feels, handles how American muscle should.

My problem is, I have been having difficulty not stomping on it at every chance I get it had brand new tires on it, and let me just say... The rear tires aren't quite as new anymore!

So now it starts. I bought this car with intentions of making it a long term project that I can work on for years to come. I have quite a list that I already have planned and I just have a couple questions.

I heard alot about the #8 failure and it being fixed in the later year 2012. I am not sure if mine is early or late 12 so how can I be safe if I tune. It was a certified used, so I have 100,000 warranty and don't want to completely blow it being only at 17,000. I really want to do 3.73 and tune and full exhaust but don't want to lose warranty.
Hello 5.ohhh,

Welcome and congrats on your new ‘Stang! I recommend speaking with your servicing dealer before installing any aftermarket parts to your vehicle. Ford Racing Parts come with their own warranty and if your dealer is a FRPP dealer, they will only honor those aftermarket mods. Your service manager can help you with any further info.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 06-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
5.ohhh

Wow, thanks for all of the responses so far!!! I can't even believe that ford has people on here to help with these kinds of questions. I couldn't be happier right now with ford and my new car.

In response though, one of the things that I most look forward to is working on my car myself. It's not even the joy of trying to squeeze out an extra 5 hp, it's the joy of taking it apart, putting it back together and learning as I go. Seems like it has a great platform already.

I will def. take into consideration every bodies advice and helpful words on here!

On a quick side note though, I was checking under my car last night (just 'cuz) and I noticed the rear end was really really rusty( atleast that was what it appeared to be I. Minimal light). The car is a Florida car and only has 17k on it. That can't be right can it?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
TRMach1 I drive an 18 wheeler and last night in New Orleans I saw a perfect 2003-4 Mack1 just after reading the MF story about Ford bringing back the Mach1 in 2017.
Awesome car, does your's have the original five spoke wheels, shaker, basket weave leather seats? MF Story said they had a 32 valve 4.6 aluminum engine and I wondered how much would one those run? Can't be to many still running.

5.ohhh

Never seen or heard of a #8 problem anywhere but the internet. Might have been tunes based on the 05-09 years adapted badly to the Coyote 5.0 engine. The PCM code is on a sticker under your hood on the electrical box. Try googling it "PCM code 123456789 for Ford Mustang 2010" or some combo of that line. There is also an app somewhere on this site in which you can enter your Vin# and see all the info on your car, i.e... manufacture date, number of units, so on. They'll also sell you a certificate of your cars particulars.

Safest warranty route is to have Ford dealer do your mods, it's expensive and the tune is a "Pro Cal Tuner" all you'll get is better throttle response. I held-out then I said ****it and Boss intake, 93 custom tune, and other things to go bananas with. Haven't done LT yet so I'd ask AM if you got your tuner there because I think you need a tune for LT's, but not shorties.

I'm sure F/I Blow or Spray will void your warranty, just for the engine but the dealer can say the extra hp caused other failures due to excessive force. You should discuss it with them. If I was to do it again and wanted to keep it stock. The only three things I'd do:

2. FR Axil back Sports, one step up from the GT-500's at $700 you'll love the sound.

3. FR Pro-Cal tune($400-450), because any tune has to be better then none.

$1,625 plus installation.
That's it for the minimalists.
Later

Yes sir, mine had everything original with the exception of exhaust with 57k miles on it. It was a beautiful car I bought her last year with 33k miles and within that year I put 24k miles. They are a DOHC 4.6 4v. I also saw the article for the 2017 mach 1s, I'm pretty excited for one since I did just trade mine in for a new 5.0 but if those are nice I will have to get one.

I am located in swfl. naples to be exact. I would love to post pics, but I cannot figure out how. I think I have to be a member for a longer period of time before it will let me. It's beautiful though, with the cs front end and Brembo brake package.
Cool, I'm more towards ft myers. Well I live an hour from there but I travel to ft myers every other day for school ill keep an eye out for it, I have only seen one CS and it was white. I drive a red one.

Quick Reply: This is gonna be expensive...