Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang GT
Default Fitting for Trans Flush

So, I get all of my oil changes done at the same shop. It's rolling up on 100K sometime this year and I want to do a full flush. Coolant, diff, Trans. The shop I go to says they can do everything but the Trans because all of the newer fords have a fitting that they don't have. Sealed system and all.

I don't buy the whole "Life of the car" BS. I want it changed. Period. I got an auto and I don't want to buy a new tranny in the future so I want the fluid changed.

However, I DO NOT want to go to a dealer. Which is what my shop suggested, as they will have the fitting. But I don't want a $200 dollar service to cost $400 because some kid that went to Lincoln Tech and wears "Ford" on his shirt is doing the work.

Do I really need to go to the dealer for this? Can I perhaps buy the fitting myself?

Any ideas guys?

And I assume Motorcraft trans fluid but any opinions on that? Amsoil perhaps?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2006 GT Coupe Windveil Blue - Dinah (RIP)
2006 GT 'Vert Redfire - Roxanne - Borla Touring Axlebacks - Brenspeed 93 Tune - Granatelli CAI - Shaftmasters 3.5'' DS
JFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Forget the flush, just do a fluid and filter swap. There is DIY write up on how to do it. I bought the fitting off amazon for under $10 and the filter was not much more. Its quite simple to drop the trans pan and change the filter. Using a handpump to pump back in the 5 or so quarts of fluid was the only difficult part. Only because your on your back with a crappy handpump.....it takes time and your arms will cramp up. Adding a transpan with a dipstick will solve that completely. You then add the fluid via the dipstick. You can buy a deeper pan or the same size stock one with a dipstick......very nice mod.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...sion-pans.html

Search online and you can find these items cheaper.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

as far as pumping stuff into those things (I had experience with a rear-end), I bought a cheap weed sprayer and cut the hose near the end and the filter type fitting in the tank, pump it up and let it go until you need to pump it up some more. I think dexron III is the recommended fluid.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT

Motive products makes a nice fluid pump that you can charge with air (or manually pump) and it has a valve built in to shut off the flow when you want. Obviously alot more expensive than what danzcool used.
I agree with 808 - I would change the pan out for one with a dipstick. I actually did, based on 808's recommendation, and its great.
Our cars use Mercon V. There is Amsoil in mine
E-Force /2.75” Pulley - IW 18% OD Balancer
ID 725 Injectors
Comp Cams 127450's
GT500 Dual Fuel Pumps w/ dual VMP boosters
Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator
AFCO Heat Exchanger w/ fans
Dad's Intercooler tank
Kooks 1 5/8” Headers, Green Cats, H-pipe
PI 3200 rpm Converter
3.73 Gears
Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft
Strange Adj. Struts and Shocks
GT500 Brembo Brakes & BAER 14” Rotors

DYNOJET: 633 rwhp/623 rwtq (4/2/14)

jpplaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang GT

Having just been introduced to this part, what did y'all pay for your pans? And where did the dipstick route to under the hood?
2006 GT Coupe Windveil Blue - Dinah (RIP)
2006 GT 'Vert Redfire - Roxanne - Borla Touring Axlebacks - Brenspeed 93 Tune - Granatelli CAI - Shaftmasters 3.5'' DS
JFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002, Ford, GT, 2005 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFitz View Post
So, I get all of my oil changes done at the same shop. It's rolling up on 100K sometime this year and I want to do a full flush. Coolant, diff, Trans. The shop I go to says they can do everything but the Trans because all of the newer fords have a fitting that they don't have. Sealed system and all.

I don't buy the whole "Life of the car" BS. I want it changed. Period. I got an auto and I don't want to buy a new tranny in the future so I want the fluid changed.

However, I DO NOT want to go to a dealer. Which is what my shop suggested, as they will have the fitting. But I don't want a $200 dollar service to cost $400 because some kid that went to Lincoln Tech and wears "Ford" on his shirt is doing the work.

Do I really need to go to the dealer for this? Can I perhaps buy the fitting myself?

Any ideas guys?

And I assume Motorcraft trans fluid but any opinions on that? Amsoil perhaps?
I will be a 100% honest with you a second that you take it to the dealer. The process they use to service the autos is specialized. Basically they remove the trans fluid and replace it with the rotunda tool and if you don't have the tool or try to jerry rig it chances are very high you will be replacing your trans in short order. Just eat it and bite the bullet and take it to a (here is the key) good dealer with an excellent service department. If you see a bunch of fresh out of high school kids doing anything but washing and vacuuming the vehicles then make a run for it.
02GTowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement