Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bassini header question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

Default Bassini header question

It has been 3 years since I have been on the forum. Last time I was here I was selling my 2003 gt (seen below). Since then I have purchased a 2013 deep impact blue gt. I just bought and installed a bassini xpipe and gt 500 mufflers (from AmericanMuscle.com, thanks guys). I'm looking at getting bassini headers to complement my xpipe and I have a couple questions about them. First, if I were to put the headers on, would I have to remove them to pull the transmission? With my 03 I had to until I got the t56 (the trans would separate from the bell housing). Next, if I kept my cats, how much louder would the car be on the inside ( I could careless how loud it was outside)? It looks like people are gaining approximately 30-40rwhp with the full exhaust setup. Is that what everyone is seeing? Thanks everyone am I'm glad to be back. Please excuse any spelling/ grammatical mistakes, I'm on an iPad!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I can add input to posting but something you mention got my attention. You referenced the exhaust tone from inside the vehicle potentially being louder when retaining the cats. Is that typical?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Uh it's going to be quieter with the cats they muffle some of the sound. If you had an offroad x with no cats it would be louder than hell inside and out.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You won't need to pull the transmission, pretty sure you'll just have to jack up the motor and remove the mounts.

You won't be able to use your current x-pipe. Bassani , as well as all other headers require a different shorty mid-pipe that is matched to the headers.

I suggest catted mid-pipe...off road trumpets like you wouldn't believe. It's extremely embarrasing and well documented on these cars. Imagine a farty Honda on steroids.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm definitely going to keep the cats on it now. Just trying to find ways to increase the power without increasing the volume inside the cabin. My current xpipe is a after cat pipe so I can use the following product to make it work with the headers (http://www.jpcracing.com/bassani-201...ani-longtubes/). My concern was that to change the clutch, I would have to remove the headers to remove the clutch. Is that true? It was for the 99-04 gts after you installed longtube headers on them.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

oh ok, my bad about the shorty pipe! That's really nice of Bassani to offer that, keeping you from having to buy another x-pipe.

Not too sure about the clutch, hopefully someone else will respond. If everything isn't too different than on the 3V, than you shouldn't have to.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DeltaV
It has been 3 years since I have been on the forum. Last time I was here I was selling my 2003 gt (seen below). Since then I have purchased a 2013 deep impact blue gt. I just bought and installed a bassini xpipe and gt 500 mufflers (from AmericanMuscle.com, thanks guys). I'm looking at getting bassini headers to complement my xpipe and I have a couple questions about them. First, if I were to put the headers on, would I have to remove them to pull the transmission? With my 03 I had to until I got the t56 (the trans would separate from the bell housing). Next, if I kept my cats, how much louder would the car be on the inside ( I could careless how loud it was outside)? It looks like people are gaining approximately 30-40rwhp with the full exhaust setup. Is that what everyone is seeing? Thanks everyone am I'm glad to be back. Please excuse any spelling/ grammatical mistakes, I'm on an iPad!
Originally Posted by DeltaV
Well I'm definitely going to keep the cats on it now. Just trying to find ways to increase the power without increasing the volume inside the cabin. My current xpipe is a after cat pipe so I can use the following product to make it work with the headers (http://www.jpcracing.com/bassani-201...ani-longtubes/). My concern was that to change the clutch, I would have to remove the headers to remove the clutch. Is that true? It was for the 99-04 gts after you installed longtube headers on them.
I hope you're really enjoying your 2013 GT, I'm glad to hear we were able to hook you up with some parts for it so far!

I run Long Tube headers on my 2011 GT, I started with a catted X-pipe going into my stock over axle pipes and GT500 mufflers. With the cat's on the car, the GT500 muffler was really quite. So I got rid of the cats within a week of having them! It definitely freed up some power and doesn't sound that much louder, just a little more aggressive.

I didn't have to pull the motor or anything like that. Depending on the header, you may have to take the motor mount bolt out and jack up the motor the tiniest bit (Depends on the collector size). In most cases, this isn't necessary though. I don't think you'll have to take the headers off to drop the trans, there's plenty of clearance on either side!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

I bought BBK ceramic coated long tubes and BBK offroad x-pipe from AM several years back and it has been one of the best mods I've ever done to my car. It's really loud with the SLP axlebacks, but it's not ridiculous if you don't step on it all the time. My 2007 GT is my daily driver and I've had zero issues thus far.

I was like a little kid on christmas morning when my headers came in from AM!

The install is a bit of a PITA though, as you do need to lift the engine up to fit them in. Plan on spending a few hours putting them in.

-Nick C.