Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help Me Pick Some Axle-Backs PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Lazyflatfoot

I've got a stock 2011 Mustang GT and installed the Roush axle back system. They become louder the harder you accelerate and sound very good doing so. If you accelerate in a relaxed manner, they are very conservative in volume. There is very little drone on the freeway. What little there is not overwhelming. I don't know how they compare to systems but I'm satisfied with them. When you wind the Coyote motor up where it's happy, it sounds great!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

FWIW, I had put Borla Stingers on my 2006 vert. I loved them with the top down, HATED them with the top up. The drone was awful.

I switched to Corsas and love them all the time. Zero drone at any speed.

Granted, as discussed over and over again in the many exhaust threads, exhaust sound is purely subjective and one man's purring is another man's grating. If you are considering Loudmouths, your preferences are probably somewhat different than mine......

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
Please people stop the madness. Do you think Carroll Shelby just tripped over a muffler and said hay, I'll put this one on? No Ford Engineers worked and tested till their ears bleed then they rested.

Some say get Corsia, Borla or FRPP? I believe they're all made in the same place as Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP).

I went middle of the road with FRPP axil back Sports $699, you can step down to GT-500 $300 or up to the $1200 Duel Tip monsters on the Shelby's.

Do you trust your Mother? Once on a visit home to the folks, my Mom said my car "purred". That was idling in the driveway, not WOT. Or as I would say it had a Stealthy cat-like menace to it.
I have to say, your logic won me over and I took your advice to heart. I weighed all the options, researched videos, etc., and ended up going with the Ford Racing/GT500 style axle-back exhaust. I was willing to spend as much as $700, so the amazingly affordable price of the GT500's weren't a factor, but a nice bonus.

That said, I don't think I could happier. They sound absolutley amazing. Clean, crisp, hollow, deep - all the things I was looking for.

At start up, they bark at you and growl for a minute to put a smile on your face. At low idle, they make this clean, hollow, bubbling sound. Under light acceleration, a low, hollow, growl, that grows louder and louder as you reach higher rpms; and when you matt it, they f'ing roar. On down-shifts, they bark and bubble like a muscle car should. Cruising around, you can barely hear them and there is absolutely no drone.

They are absolutely perfect for me. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited by seniorsmith; 07-19-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

And the tips look about right. My stock tips were 3 or 3.5" and the axil back Sports were 4", so they filled-up the valance opening just right. Too small a pipe in a big opening is as bad looking as too small a tire on a lowered car. The car sounds like Steve McQueen would want it. Loud and mean enough to race but sophisticated enough to pick-up Jacqueline Bisset and take her to a jazz show without seaming like a noisy child having an exhaust tantrum. You're 90% less likely to have BMW drivers laugh at you.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Corsa's are gold but too much for me. That's why I got Basanni Race. One day I'll have Corsa's

This is why I fell in love with Corsa's

Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

And the tips look about right. My stock tips were 3 or 3.5" and the axil back Sports were 4", so they filled-up the valance opening just right. Too small a pipe in a big opening is as bad looking as too small a tire on a lowered car. The car sounds like Steve McQueen would want it. Loud and mean enough to race but sophisticated enough to pick-up Jacqueline Bisset and take her to a jazz show without seaming like a noisy child having an exhaust tantrum. You're 90% less likely to have BMW drivers laugh at you.
Oh yes, you're absolutely right about the tips too. Not only do the 4-inchers fill up the valance better, they are not the rolled, shiny chrome tips; they are just straight pipes out the back. It really gives it a more purposeful, less cosmetic, look.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Cribby

Please people stop the madness. Do you think Carroll Shelby just tripped over a muffler and said hay, I'll put this one on? No Ford Engineers worked and tested till their ears bleed then they rested.

Some say get Corsia, Borla or FRPP? I believe they're all made in the same place as Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP).

I went middle of the road with FRPP axil back Sports $699, you can step down to GT-500 $300 or up to the $1200 Duel Tip monsters on the Shelby's.

Do you trust your Mother? Once on a visit home to the folks, my Mom said my car "purred". That was idling in the driveway, not WOT. Or as I would say it had a Stealthy cat-like menace to it.
FYI, all mufflers are not made by FRPP. I believe Ford Mufflers are made and/or designed by Roush. Steeda's are by Borla, Flowmaster made by themselves as well as Dynomax. There are some from the big list that sound similar and that may be the case of one of them being made by another large exhaust/performance company.

seniorsmith, glad to hear you are happy with the FRPP. I had those on my 2012 GT but on my 2014 I decided to try something different.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cribby
FYI, all mufflers are not made by FRPP. I believe Ford Mufflers are made and/or designed by Roush. Steeda's are by Borla, Flowmaster made by themselves as well as Dynomax. There are some from the big list that sound similar and that may be the case of one of them being made by another large exhaust/performance company.

seniorsmith, glad to hear you are happy with the FRPP. I had those on my 2012 GT but on my 2014 I decided to try something different.
I can totally relate. I had Flowmasters on my previous '07 GT, and on a Ram 1500. I love the Flowmaster sound, but I'm happy I've found something different. In my opinion, the Flowmasters had a more retro, muscle car sound, where as the FRPP's lean more towards modern performance - which is a nice change.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Richard Cox

Red face Late Reply

I'm glad you didn't install Flowmaster Pro-series Hushpowers. I installed on my 2011 5.0. They sounded great outside, but the drone inside was terrible! I took them off after six months. I've heard good comments on the GT500 and may try them. Anyone want my Flowmasters? Selling them cheap!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

I'm going with roush when I do mine in a month or so, and this is exactly how I want mine.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick Some Axle-Backs PLEASE.