Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP GTA exhaust too quiet

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP GTA exhaust too quiet

So I purchased a low mileage axle back exhaust for my 05 GT that was previously on a 2007 Chip Foose Stallion. I have read that the axle back on that particular car is the FRPP GTA version. If it is boy is it quiet. As quiet as my stock GT axleback. I originally just wanted something in the middle of the road between the stock exhaust and the MAC boom tubes I was running. The boom tubes sound really nice but around town after awhile it gets old and bring unwanted attention even at low speeds as it has a very aggressive sound. However with this axle back is is so quiet I don't even notice it is running at a light. Does anyone know for sure if this is the FRPP GTA version on the Foose edition or something else? It does have some very nice 4 inch stainless double walled tips that I love but the lack of sound is disappointing.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

u sure it's quiet?
i thought my ford racing axlebacks sounded quiet untill my wife sped up the road in it.
sounds superb..i think loud axlebacks equals drone dude..something u dont want tbh.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds like they are the GTA's. I love mine but I would say it took a good 10k mi before they broke in they the sound level improved noticeably. Headers also help the tone, I've always had them on with headers and the x-pipe so I can't comment on how they sound otherwise.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Yes it is quiet. My wife even commented on it asking what happened to the sound? Even with the windows down there is very little exhaust note. Believe me something throaty with a deeper rumble then stock is what i was looking for. Unfortunately with this axleback i didn't get it. The funny thing is i didn't get a drone with the boom tubes just a very aggressive sound. but for a daily driver it was a bit much. I was hoping this exhaust would be as loud or slighlty louder then the bullitt exhaust but for me it has been too quiet.
I am hoping they get a little louder in the next few months. They only had about 7K miles on them and they were spotless as I don't think the guy drives the Foose edition much before he went with a pypes system.

I am thinking of doing a cut and clamp X pipe next to see if that helps. Is anyone running these mufflers with a x pipe and otherwise stock exhaust? IF so how does it sound?

Last edited by 02GTowner; 07-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The GTA's are a tad louder than stock. The GTB's are a tad louder than the GTA's IIRC. I have the FRPP Stingers (GT's) which aren't much louder than the GTA's and GTB's at light acceleration but open her up and holy chit...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Yeah these GTA's are slightly disappointing. But for $50 for the pair with very little use in sunny CA I can't expect a lot. The tips they come with are very nice though. The boom tubes just make it sound like a full on race only vehicle. I wanted something in the middle. I might try the pypes or FRPP cut and clamp x pipe to free up a couple of horses or at least tone down the boom tubes if i put them back on.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-fr500-axleback-05091.
These sound like what you are looking for.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 AM
Old Sailor

I had the FRPP 5GT (49 state legal) axle back exhaust on my 2007 GT. They had a really nice sound, loud and deep enough but not obnoxious!!! Now have the FRPP Sport on my 2013, very similar sound!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I went back to the boom tubes. They just sound so much better then the too quiet GTA or stockers for me.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Always run offroad X pipe but given your in CA that would only last till you needed emissions. Got the same issue here in WA I want an offroad X but I would have to swap them out before i did emissions.

Quick Reply: FRPP GTA exhaust too quiet