Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Broken front suspension component

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Broken front suspension component

Well, the other day as my 5.0 clicked over its first 3400 miles or so I hear a bang, which I assumed was someone else's car and soon after I hear a clanking, grinding racket coming from the front drivers side wheel area of my new 2013 Mustang! I'm thinking Ford is still using crap Chinese sourced coils/ struts etc that they used in my wifes 2000 Taurus which over the years went back to Ford 3 times for broken suspension parts and silent recalls. My hope is the dealership doesn't try to give me any grief because I'd installed Ford Racing Boss 302 Laguna Seca wheels with tires that match factory specs for that car or my C&L CAI with no tune or my Roush AB exhaust. Wherever you are Ford rep person, I may need your intervention again!! Cheap fragile suspension parts (if that's what it is) on a vehicle with this much power is a big NO NO IMO.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

They will not cause issues over wheels or tunes. As for the suspension id look at dumping the stock springs and getting some Eibach's you will see a huge difference in a nice high quality spring. Guessing that's what popped on yours. The stock shocks and struts are not very good either Koni Yellow or even the Eibach kit will be a huge improvement.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
They will not cause issues over wheels or tunes. As for the suspension id look at dumping the stock springs and getting some Eibach's you will see a huge difference in a nice high quality spring. Guessing that's what popped on yours. The stock shocks and struts are not very good either Koni Yellow or even the Eibach kit will be a huge improvement.
THanks, yeah as soon as I find out what's broke and get Ford to replace it free I'll order that part from Eibach or whoever first as part of a whole lowering and performance suspension upgrade.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

3400 miles and stuff is breaking. That sucks. Hopefully they will fix it up quickly.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Soo, today I am on my way to the dealership and I back out of my driveway and don't hear the grinding. I drive all over for about 4 miles, hitting every dip, manhole cover, driveway skirt and speed bump I can find and there's absolutely no noise or racket coming from the front end! Here I haven't driven the car all weekend and it appears nothing's mechanically wrong after all. So I made the round trip hitting every possible road condition I'd normally drive the Mustang on, and which were causing the car to make the racket time and again Friday and the car sounds as good as day one. No way I'm going to show up to the dealer with no racket and have them wreck my alignment to not find anything! My best guess is that the last time I drove the car before Friday I went through an extremely nice soft touch car wash with a high pressure wheel washing station and it moved or blew a small stone from the tire tread into a tight spot between the strut tower or coil and the frame and was causing the racket I heard until it straightened itself out. Who knows so, bullet dodged I guess she's good to go. Thanks anyhow!!

Yes, I'm ecstatic cant you tell?!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

OH I know what it could of been. My wives 2013 vert got a rock stuck in its caliper once. It sounded like the noise you talked about. It could of been that and hitting the bump in the drive way knocked it out of the caliper. So if that happens again check for rocks in the calipers they seem to work their way in there sometimes.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Now I've got a squeak coming from the strut area when going over speed bumps slowly. Not quite the grinding noise but a definite squeak like a rubber bushing rubbing on something squeak. Turns out there's a Ford TSB from 7/15/2013 for an extensive fix for the problem involving replacement of the lower control arms and other parts. Going to dealer now to have the issue taken care of.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Really my sync is not showing any TSB's on anything do you have a link to it? I have a lot of squeaking when I go over speed bumps but I am pretty sure its from the EiBach springs.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Really my sync is not showing any TSB's on anything do you have a link to it? I have a lot of squeaking when I go over speed bumps but I am pretty sure its from the EiBach springs.
Hi, DocSnickers -

The Vehicle Health Report will show system information and recommended actions for any displayed warning indicators, open recalls, Ford scheduled maintenance and unserviced maintenance and wear items from previous dealer visits. TSBs are not the same as a recall, therefore they will not appear.

Jaclyn
Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well then I guess its a good excuse for me to put an aftermarket front end on

Quick Reply: Broken front suspension component