Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Broken front suspension component

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Really my sync is not showing any TSB's on anything do you have a link to it? I have a lot of squeaking when I go over speed bumps but I am pretty sure its from the EiBach springs.
TSB
13-7-8 GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS

Publication Date: July 15, 2013

FORD: 2011-2014 Mustang

The article supersedes TSB 12-8-24 to update the model years, Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2014 Mustangs vehicles may exhibit a grunt/creak/chirp/squeak noise from the front lower control arm hydro bushing. These noises may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps, pot holes, rough roads and driveway approaches.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Attach Rotunda wireless chassis ears (JSP97202) or equivalent on both lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing.
The hydro bushing is the large diameter bushing at the rear of the control arm. Due to hydraulic fluid flow some noise from the bushing is normal. There would typically be some difference from side to side on a unit with a noisy control arm.
If the noise is not confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, this article does not apply, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-00 for normal diagnostics.
If the noise is confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, replace the affected lower control arm with the new lower control arm with shield and 3 screws. Tighten the three (3) shield screws to 7 N-m (62 lb-in.) Refer to WSM, Section 204-01. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 13-7-8

PART NUMBER PART NAME
CR3Z-3078-D Arm Asy - Right Front
CR3Z-3079-D Arm Asy - Left Front
W710141-S439 Lower Arm Rear Bolt (2 Req)
W709865-S439 Lower Arm Front Bolt (2 Req)
W710909-S439 Steering Gear Bolt
W711123-S439 Ball Joint Bolt (2 Req)
W520215-S440 Lower Arm Rear Nut (2 Req)
W520214-S440 Ball Joint Nut (2 Req)
W713882-S437 Rack Nut
4R3Z-5G221-LH Shield - Left
4R3Z-5G221-RH Shield - Right
W704873-S439 Screw - Shield (6 Req)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
130708A 2011-2014 Mustang: Replace One (1) Front Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose 1.8 Hrs.
130708B 2011-2014 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Front Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose 2.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
3078 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Slammintone
Well, the other day as my 5.0 clicked over its first 3400 miles or so I hear a bang, which I assumed was someone else's car and soon after I hear a clanking, grinding racket coming from the front drivers side wheel area of my new 2013 Mustang! I'm thinking Ford is still using crap Chinese sourced coils/ struts etc that they used in my wifes 2000 Taurus which over the years went back to Ford 3 times for broken suspension parts and silent recalls. My hope is the dealership doesn't try to give me any grief because I'd installed Ford Racing Boss 302 Laguna Seca wheels with tires that match factory specs for that car or my C&L CAI with no tune or my Roush AB exhaust. Wherever you are Ford rep person, I may need your intervention again!! Cheap fragile suspension parts (if that's what it is) on a vehicle with this much power is a big NO NO IMO.
Hi Slammintone,

I received your PMs. Please send me VIN and dealer so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Slammintone,

I received your PMs. Please send me VIN and dealer so I can get this escalated for you.

Deysha
PM sent, thanks so much Deysha!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Slammintone
PM sent, thanks so much Deysha!
You're very welcome, Slammintone! Be sure to work with your CSM until all is resolved.

Deysha
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: Got the TSB service for the noisey front end done last week. Havent driven the car much as I've been busy at work but so far, the problem seems solved. Cant say enough about the great help FordService has been in getting the work done as quickly as possible given that the parts needed to do the job were on nationwide backorder.