Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharged 05 GT Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharged 05 GT Purchase

I am going to look at a 2005 Mustang GT with a supercharger. The add on was supposedly done when the car was new. It has 83000 miles on it. Are there any specific issues i should look out for? It has a 5 speed. How durable are the transmissions and rear axles on these cars?

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

The tranny and axle on my 07 are fine. I go to the track about 4 times a year. In my opinion they r durable. However the transmission has a vent tube for the oil when it's gets hot its drains through the tube and on the ground. I'd be sure to ask if he's changed tranny oil in it
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Manual or auto? It really comes down to how this guy drove the car and maintenance. Did he beat on it hard or just enjoy the power now and then. I have hundreds of passes at the track with my supercharger and the car drives perfect, no issues whatsoever with the motor or trans. Of course I do all the oil changes etc... multiple times a year.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Which supercharger?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

I'd look for a low mileage car and add the blower yourself. No telling what that car's been through
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chevy Convert
I'd look for a low mileage car and add the blower yourself. No telling what that car's been through
This is good advice, but I bet a lot of people don't have the money for the blower and would rather finance it in with the car. You have to figure the majority of people shopping for a 7-8 year old GT are young and broke.

Last edited by moosestang; 07-25-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

It's a 5-speed. The guy claims it's never been to the track, but that doesn't mean he didn't beat on it. It appears to be in good condition (I haven't seen it in person yet). The ad says, "supercharger is vortech kit complete with diablo tuner and cold air intake k&n filter" that was put on when the car was new.

Moosestang, you almost got it...I don't have the spare cash to put the S/C on myself, but I am old and broke, not young and broke...plus, the price of the car is the same as a stock version of the same year, so I am not paying a premium for the supercharger.

I'll post back with what I find when I go look at it.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by importsmasher
It's a 5-speed. The guy claims it's never been to the track, but that doesn't mean he didn't beat on it. It appears to be in good condition (I haven't seen it in person yet). The ad says, "supercharger is vortech kit complete with diablo tuner and cold air intake k&n filter" that was put on when the car was new.

Moosestang, you almost got it...I don't have the spare cash to put the S/C on myself, but I am old and broke, not young and broke...plus, the price of the car is the same as a stock version of the same year, so I am not paying a premium for the supercharger.

I'll post back with what I find when I go look at it.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old and broke? Must be recently divorced! LOL! If it runs good, then i wouldn't worry to much about it. The 4.6 3v's are tough and so are the tr3650's.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

LOL, not divorced, 8 kids!

Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

OMG.......8 kids. Dude......... You need this car bad.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 05 GT Purchase