Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MSD vs Accel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

Default MSD vs Accel?

Hey guys, been a while since i posted on here. Im looking to get some new igniton coils for my 06gt auto. Miles are getting up there, 88 almost 89k. So far i replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, oil etc. I have spoken to BAMA about making my tune more aggressive by probably advancing the timing since i think im running alittle rich and they could def pull more power outta my 93r tune. While they were doing that, i was going to replace the COPs. The car is a daily, and i know motorcraft is the way to go; i did want a little more power outta them since ive noticed alittle decreased fuel economy and there old. I figured if there going to increase timing why not. Both companies are cheaper then OEM. Which are better? MSD is more money and they have a great reputation, but which last and run better on our cars? LMK any experiences you guys have had with either brand. If this helps, mods are: intake, bama tune, steeda pulleys, flowmaster american thunder axle backs. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you're not having any trouble with the stock coils, stick with them. If you are having problems, replace them with factory stock style coils.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Definitely not Accel! A google search will show you which has the least failures. I've been using the msd coils for over 1 year now and no problems. Even some of the high end coils like weapon X have reliability problems, which is just sad.

Careful when shopping for replacement stock coils. I would only buy from rockauto and be sure they are the motorcraft, but for the price, i'd just get the msd coils. You could wait another couple of years and I'll give you an update on the msd's, lol!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If you're not having any trouble with the stock coils, stick with them. If you are having problems, replace them with factory stock style coils.
did you get that frpp throttle body on there yet?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

I have not yet put the TB on yet i plan to do it in a few months. Wow 1 yrs not bad, any improvement over originals? Id go stock with stock but dying to see what aftermarket to do for the money.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

Oh sorry, I did see who the question was to lol. I will get a TB soon though haha
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang racer06
Oh sorry, I did see who the question was to lol. I will get a TB soon though haha
Sorry, I hijacked your thread.

I had accel coils and after 1 year they started to fail. One quit on me completely. They also never threw a code.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM
mustang racer06
1st Gear Member

Were MSD better over stock?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang racer06
Were MSD better over stock?
On my car yes, on a mostly stock car, you might not notice much difference. Mine idles better and part throttle acceleration is smoother than stock coils.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
did you get that frpp throttle body on there yet?
Nah. Waiting for cool weather to take it to my tuner and have a couple of things done at once. I'll probably put it on the day before I head back to the dyno. Focusing on a bit of weight loss for the time being. I have that UPR K-member coming in tomorrow and I'm pricing race seats as well. I'll probably also have to cage the car this fall so I'm starting to look at prices for that as well.

Quick Reply: MSD vs Accel?