Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Moving up to a 5.0

Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Default Moving up to a 5.0

Hey guys. This is my first real post in over a year so its good to be back. I'm not sure if this is the right place for a post like this, but if I'm wrong then the mods can feel free to move it.

I currently own a 2007 v6 in black. auto tranny. black leather inside. black bullitt wheels. maybe 50% window tint. boss style reverse c stripes in white. flowmaster exhaust. bbk intake. Ive had the car for almost 2 years and I'm really starting to get tired of the car. Don't get me wrong, this car has been my baby for the last 2 years, but I'm feeling that at this point it's time to move on.

The thing is that the car just isn't fast enough. I'm not an irresponsible driver and I never drive in excess of speed limits, but I'm talking about launching and overtaking abilities. The 210 hp at the crank is just not enough and I'm not even going to guess how much gets to the wheels. Also the low torque doesn't make it any better. I'm starting to see 4 cyl audis with higher hp and better 1/4mile times. Now I realize the new v6 has a nice 300hp, but I think I'm ready to move on to a 5.0

The reason for posting this was to get some feedback from you guys on what I should look for when buying a used 5.0 mustang. Im looking for any year after 2010 and with a manual tranny. I've heard the 2011 had some problems so if you guys could give me some info on that too. I just want to know what to be on the lookout for when buying a used 2011-2013 5.0 This purchase will most likely occur within the next 10 months once I have the financial capability.

Also my next question has to do with forced induction. I already have some money set aside for mods on the car and I am 90% sure that I'm going to supercharge the future mustang. I want to know which manufacturer makes the most reliable superchargers that can put me in the 550-600 hp range. Also what type of s/c is better suited for the car a centrifugal or twin screw. I'm really interested in the stage 2 roush twin screw, but please give me some opinions.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default 2013 automatic

2013 automatic 5.0 35000
stage 1 roush charger 7000 installed
3500 stall circle d converter 2000 installed
slicks and drag lites 3000 installed
9 second car.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

You just have to look around and don't settle on one if price can be an issue. Example I bought mine this year it was a 2013 M6 for $29k fully loaded without the nav, out the door it came out to be $33. If I'm correct I believe the first batch of 5.0s people were having problems with the transmissions in the manual ones.

I went from a 2003 mach 1 to this new 5.0 and I love it, I do miss my mach because those are unique cars but this car is so refined and fast compared to previous mustangs.

Good luck on your search and once you find it you'll love it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shane780
2013 automatic 5.0 35000
stage 1 roush charger 7000 installed
3500 stall circle d converter 2000 installed
slicks and drag lites 3000 installed
9 second car.
hahaha damn
Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

I just went thru this...I had a 2005 Supercharged GT...was so excited to be able to afford a base 2011 GT...and to be honest, I hated it other than the motor. I traded it in two months ago for a 2012 GT Premium. My base 2011 GT didn't have a shaker system, no MyColor, no leather, no SYNC, no Brembo's...all of this came in on my 2012...and I LOVE IT.

My advice...list the options you want on it,and find that car..don't settle, you will be regreting it soon.

Second piece of advice...mod the **** out of it. With the supercharger, I had a Vortech V3 in my 2005...loved the top end power. Where a twin screw will hit it at a lower RPM, the centri's are great up top.

my .02
Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 PM
stangsteve94

what i can`t believe with the 5.0s is people are charging $200 for the GT40 intakes when you can go to a junk yard and get one off a ford explorer or mercury mountainer for $30 bucks, thats what i did then ported it myself
Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
stangsteve94

im running a vortech with 12lbs of boost and 3:73s and run mid to low 12s but i haven`t put my GT40 intake on yet and getting ready to put a stage 2 aode and one i get that i`m gonna have it tuned since i haven`t had it tuned yet
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I also had an 07 v6... did gears, tune..etc. Traded for a 2011 5.0 (new..ordered from factory).. and let me tell you.. well I can't.. cause words still can't describe how happy I am!

I have 36,000 on my car and have had ZERO issues... so I don't think there are worrying problems that are year specific (on a factory car).

That said, you do have to be careful... I've heard of people messing up their cars by tuning them before the tuners really understood this engine.. Just make sure you can get some kind of warrantee and go with your gut regarding how much you trust the dealer. Make sure you take a look at the service department or hit up local forums for peoples experience with specific dealers/service depts.

It's such a huge upgrade.. I drove manuals up until I got the auto 07 v6... but had to relearn everything when I upgraded to the 2011.. due to the freaking huge jump in power.. and also due to the 6 speed. I assumed they would feel a little similar in handling and such.. but the 2010+ body/chassis feels so much different than the 05-09.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OSUTX440
I just went thru this...I had a 2005 Supercharged GT...was so excited to be able to afford a base 2011 GT...and to be honest, I hated it other than the motor. I traded it in two months ago for a 2012 GT Premium. My base 2011 GT didn't have a shaker system, no MyColor, no leather, no SYNC, no Brembo's...all of this came in on my 2012...and I LOVE IT.

My advice...list the options you want on it,and find that car..don't settle, you will be regreting it soon.

Second piece of advice...mod the **** out of it. With the supercharger, I had a Vortech V3 in my 2005...loved the top end power. Where a twin screw will hit it at a lower RPM, the centri's are great up top.

my .02
This was exactly the type of advice i was looking for. I know what you mean about the base GTs too. I really like the roush stage 1 s/c. roush makes solid products so i know im getting what i pay for.

Im definitly planning on modding the car a lot. There are so many sexy body kits cervini released for the new 5.0s theres so much to choose from.

Thanks for the advice though
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I also had an 07 v6... did gears, tune..etc. Traded for a 2011 5.0 (new..ordered from factory).. and let me tell you.. well I can't.. cause words still can't describe how happy I am!

I have 36,000 on my car and have had ZERO issues... so I don't think there are worrying problems that are year specific (on a factory car).

That said, you do have to be careful... I've heard of people messing up their cars by tuning them before the tuners really understood this engine.. Just make sure you can get some kind of warrantee and go with your gut regarding how much you trust the dealer. Make sure you take a look at the service department or hit up local forums for peoples experience with specific dealers/service depts.

It's such a huge upgrade.. I drove manuals up until I got the auto 07 v6... but had to relearn everything when I upgraded to the 2011.. due to the freaking huge jump in power.. and also due to the 6 speed. I assumed they would feel a little similar in handling and such.. but the 2010+ body/chassis feels so much different than the 05-09.
Thanks for the info. Im definitly trying to get a manual in my future 5.0 because the auto gets really boring. I didnt know how to drive a manual before i got the 2007 but a few months after I learned on my friends G37. So this time its definitly going to be a manual. Im in jersey so theres a lot of dealers that I need to avoid haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving up to a 5.0