Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Default Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

I daily drive my mustang and take it really everywhere. Mountains, across country, to the zoo, everywhere. It's my grocery getter. Not concerned about track performance, can always swap wheels/tires.

Plan on running S/Ced with 4.10s to cure the sluggishness off the line but I want to make sure the only people that run 20s aren't just weekend cruisers or good weather riders before I hit the "Buy Now" button.

Currently on oem 19s with oem rubber and my girlfriend says the ride is fantastic. She easily slept through our 2 hour vacation drive. I'm thinking the loss going to 20s will be more than tolerable. ALL feedback is welcomed.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Going from 19's to 20's would only be a minor loss, IMO, and barely noticeable. But my opinion of 20's... well, let's just say that I prefer the sidewall of my wife's OE 17" Bullitts over my 18", 07 GT500 takeoffs so the look of 19's and 20's suk in addition to my not being fond of the stiffer ride and impact on performance for a NA engine. But that's me. If you want 20's, have at it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I had Shelby Razor 20's for a while (until a Boston area water filled pothole the size of the impact crater that wiped out the dinosaurs killed two of the wheels)

If I lived somewhere that the roads were above the repair standards of the 1890's, I could live with 20's, but I much prefer my OE Wheels GT4 18's these days (which I must say look pretty great stuffed with a 14" Baer front rotor )

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 08-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
severetitan

I drive on 20's errday. My car is a daily driver. To/from work 5 days a week, 38mi round trip. Gets all weekend duties including my GF's errands (as she wants to take my car).

I work in Electrical Wholesale and our office is located in an industrial area complete with all the potholes, dips, HUGE expansion joints, & washed out gravel that you would expect. I have no issues and barely noticed a diff in ride quality. I really think that if I get the wheels rebalanced properly then I wouldn't be able to tell a difference at all. I had originally planned to lower it too, but I think that is a decision I would regret. The front lip already lightly scrapes from time to time.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Going from 19's to 20's would only be a minor loss, IMO, and barely noticeable. But my opinion of 20's... well, let's just say that I prefer the sidewall of my wife's OE 17" Bullitts over my 18", 07 GT500 takeoffs so the look of 19's and 20's suk in addition to my not being fond of the stiffer ride and impact on performance for a NA engine. But that's me. If you want 20's, have at it.
Barely noticeable is very good. I understand not everyone likes the 19/20s. I had 17s on my 05 and now having traded that in and running new 19s I was surprised at how great the ride quality is.

Originally Posted by severetitan
I drive on 20's errday. My car is a daily driver. To/from work 5 days a week, 38mi round trip. Gets all weekend duties including my GF's errands (as she wants to take my car).

I work in Electrical Wholesale and our office is located in an industrial area complete with all the potholes, dips, HUGE expansion joints, & washed out gravel that you would expect. I have no issues and barely noticed a diff in ride quality. I really think that if I get the wheels rebalanced properly then I wouldn't be able to tell a difference at all. I had originally planned to lower it too, but I think that is a decision I would regret. The front lip already lightly scrapes from time to time.
This is the feedback I was hoping to hear. I'll be lowering only an 1" and 1.25" front to back with bmr springs for the handling more than anything.

Last edited by Ranzo; 08-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

I'm on 20's and put 20k a year on my Mustang. It hasn't been a problem and my only power mods are intake and tune. I think the change from 19 to 20 would barely be noticeable.

I have to say though, if I did it over I'd get the same wheel in 18. I loved the look of 20s on my car but lately the look of thicker sidewalls have been growing on me. Tires would be cheaper too.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Looks like 20s it is with some michelin super sports.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I daily drive on 15s. :P OK, it's not a daily driver, but I do drive with the 15s on the street.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
artisto

I'm riding on 20s for a daily driver. Had this set up for over a year. Stock suspension right now, the ride is firm but not terrible. It's a trade off as many have said. Big sidewalls equal softer ride, but worse handling.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by artisto
I'm riding on 20s for a daily driver. Had this set up for over a year. Stock suspension right now, the ride is firm but not terrible. It's a trade off as many have said. Big sidewalls equal softer ride, but worse handling.
Define "worse handling"? Short sidewalls have a minor advantage in quicker turn-in, but that's pretty much it. Shorter sidewalls are less predictable at the limits of handling (they tend to break away with less notice, sometimes suddenly) and they're more easily upset by road surface irregularities (when was the last time you drove on a glass smooth road?).

Formula 1 is big business with millions on the line at every event. If "Big sidewalls = worse handling" you can make really big bucks by straightening those guys out:

Low profile rubber is about a LOOK first and foremost. There's not a thing wrong with that, but don't think an identically setup car is going to do better on an autocross course with 20's vs 18's

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?