Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
artisto

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Define "worse handling"? Short sidewalls have a minor advantage in quicker turn-in, but that's pretty much it. Shorter sidewalls are less predictable at the limits of handling (they tend to break away with less notice, sometimes suddenly) and they're more easily upset by road surface irregularities (when was the last time you drove on a glass smooth road?).

Formula 1 is big business with millions on the line at every event. If "Big sidewalls = worse handling" you can make really big bucks by straightening those guys out:

Low profile rubber is about a LOOK first and foremost. There's not a thing wrong with that, but don't think an identically setup car is going to do better on an autocross course with 20's vs 18's
Dude, you're talking F1 compared to a Mustang?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by artisto
Dude, you're talking F1 compared to a Mustang?
It's an extreme example, sure, but the principles are fully applicable. If low profile rubber produced superior handling across the board as you were claiming, then the most competitive racers with the most riding on handling would surely be taking advantage of it. They aren't. (nor is Nascar, NASA, or even SCCA autocross, except in classes limited to using OE tire/wheel sizes by the rules)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
Agreed, Torch Vert. But i did just check the Ford website and the 20 inch rear wheels are standard on both the hardtop and convertable GT500. One thing i could never figure out though are all of the people griping about the weight difference on the 18 vs 20's. I actually weighed the difference in mine from stock bullit 18's to my Shelby CS40's and the difference was only 3 lbs on the fronts and 8 lbs on the rears. Not a big enough difference to grip about, unless we are at the track.
Yes the 2013s run 19s up front and 20s in the rear if I'm not mistaken. I figured, is another inch in the front going to turn my already great ride into a miserable one?

Originally Posted by JCON
There are places who will but you're looking at the cost of a built blown motor for a set of wheels...

Low profile tires in no way creates comfort, anyone who says it does is either lying to themselves or doesn't actually care. It also decreases traction because there is no give in the side wall under torque. Why do you think all race cars have medium to high profile tires?for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy the 20's unless you keep a back up set to use for daily driving. The only thing I regret about selling mine is that I don't have them for parades. Other than that, I love that going of railroad tracks or a bump in the road doesn't make the car shutter anymore. You'd think a crack in the road was a small animal under my wheel.

You need to find someone on 20's and go for a drive.

I guess my ride comfort experience is different coming from VW/Audi sedans to a Mustang.
I understand the bit about the race cars but this is my lowly DD street car. I've seen people pulling 11s at the track on 20s which I thought was hilarious. You're right about finding someone with 20s, I'll try my local clubs.

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
Why does Shelby, Saleen, and Ford (new GT500) use 20's on those cars? I am putting a set of 20's on my car right now, but i must admit it is mostly for the fact that i couldn't find any 18's that i liked that will clear the Brembo brakes. I figure if all of them are using them, they cant be that bad. Full disclosure, my car is not my DD.
I wish I could find 18s or 19s I liked that clear brembos (buying the brembo kit after the S/C).. really, really do.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
It's an extreme example, sure, but the principles are fully applicable. If low profile rubber produced superior handling across the board as you were claiming, then the most competitive racers with the most riding on handling would surely be taking advantage of it. They aren't. (nor is Nascar, NASA, or even SCCA autocross, except in classes limited to using OE tire/wheel sizes by the rules)
I think like 95% of ferrari's and other supercars including enzo, 599 gto , mclaren mp4c, corvette z06's zr1, porsche carerra gt's gt2 gt3 911 turbo, vipers, lambos, veyron, pagani's, koenigseggs, zonda and others use 19's or 20's with low profile tires

One of the reasons for this is that this size wheels can clear much larger rotors and calipers. Theres probably other reasons too. Id think that these cars would have the highest performance wheel setup possible.

The weight difference in wheels is not an issue since lower profile tires weigh less than higher profile tires, it cancells it out usually. Less sidewall flex also makes steering quicker and more responsive.

Last edited by Andy13186; 08-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I think like 95% of ferrari's including enzo, 599 gto , mclaren mp4c, corvette z06's zr1, porsche carerra gt's, vipers, lambos etc use 19's or 20's with low profile tires

One of the reasons for this is that this size wheels can clear much larger rotors and calipers
Yep. That's the second reason other than looks. If you need to stuff huge rotors in there (for instance in order to haul down a supercar from 180mph+) Sheer diameter is not as big a deal for something like an F1 car, which only weighs a feather over 1400lbs and has brake materials and tech that would make the space program envious.

Most Mustangs that go twenties stick with the stock brake though sizes. Almost nothing looks as humorous as an S197 V6 on twenties with the stock 11.5" front rotors (The GT rotors at least fill things up a bit better).

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 08-08-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
The weight difference in wheels is not an issue since lower profile tires weigh less than higher profile tires, it cancells it out usually. You have more moment of inertia to overcome with wider wheels because the bulk of the weight is farther out from the center axis.

... Less sidewall flex also makes steering quicker and more responsive. Less flex and she'll break away while cornering with NO notice and then, BAM, you're spun or off the road. Sidewall flex can be felt giving you more control. It also aids in coming off the line without as much wheel spin.
My comments in red.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

17s and 18s will clear the brakes won't they ?
So anything after that is about looks ..... and I think many just make the brakes look smaller.
No, color me "not a fan of the bigger wheel" if just for looks (if needed for larger brakes, then they serve a purpose). I think the trade offs are too great.
They work well enough on a F-150, but they have 32" tall tires stock (275/55-20) and the proportion looks good and still have some side wall height for ride (compliance to roadway irregularities) and to allow the tread to stay in contact.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Where do you think I could get a set of those chrome fender emblems that everyone seems to have to advertise their rim size? Think I could get some that say 15"?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

17's & 18's usually won't clear the big brakes. The backside of the wheel hits the front of the caliper.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

I went with CF5s in staggered 19s. They clear. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?