Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SMR2647
I have staggered 20x8.5/10 on 255/35 295/35 lowered on Sportlines + other suspension mods. With my current mods handling feels better than stock but overall the comfort of the ride is crap. 20's on stock suspension look stupid so you might as well lower it and if you're going to lower then do it right with supporting mods. I knew this before I bought them though and it was a looks only mod as my Mustang is not my daily driver. If it was I would have kept it on 18's.
Quick breaking to a complete stop is also negatively affected so keep that in mind if you aren't planning to upgrade your breaks.

Or just slap on some 20's and accept the trade offs. In the end it's all about the look you are trying to achieve because there are 0 performance benefits that I can see from putting 20" wheels on these cars.
Someone forgot to tell Mickey Thompson or all the cars in this video they shouldn't be using Big wheels and low pros... Hmmmm. Just dropping knowledge.

Mine is driven all year maybe 4 days a week about 10 miles total each day. But, came OEM equipped with 19'x8.5 running first on P-Zeros All Seasons and Now Scotozero Winters. Again the ride is something I'm used to and being on well maintained roads... the bumpiness in my ride is not applicable. As for the Summer its 20x9-20x11 staggered on Coopers/Micky's RS3-S all around.

Stops on a dime... Corners like its on rails and Sticks to the limits of the tire and when it does give its a linear and controllable experience. Handles like a performance car should. Outperforms many (if not all) the top tier summers from the top three manufacturers and everyone else beneath them.

My SRT4 is on 18x8 inch OEMs all around with PS2 skins. For a FWD 4banger ... this thing also handles like you're magnetized to the road.

Big light weight wheels....wide rubber and strong reinforced sidewalls fit my application, driving style and conditions.

Again its all relative to who you are, what you like, where you drive and how you drive. One person's perfection is another's caveat.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 09-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM
SMR2647

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Someone forgot to tell Mickey Thompson or all the cars in this video they shouldn't be using Big wheels and low pros... Hmmmm. Just dropping knowledge.
Hmmm. Thanks race car driver.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SMR2647
Hmmm. Thanks race car driver.
Oh ... You didn't watch the video. These are all Street Cars driven by the daily driver next door type.

Yup... In yer face bub. Dropping knowledge.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Street car? I'm unfamiliar with this concept...
P.S. My Hoosiers are bias ply.
And therefore you have smaller wheels.

drag Radials are optimal for 17 to 20 inch wheels. And can do limited duty on the street.

Anything smaller you go with bias ply for better straight line performance.

If you didn't know... Now you know.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Would be interesting to see a shoot out with the same Mustang and driver, 18's vs 20's. Showing a video of a bunch of cars running 20's doesn't prove anything other than they chose to run 20's. As the driver said, the car was set up for street and SEMA.

I read this article from Car and Driver, Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

Granted it's not a Mustang, nor do they test 20's, but from their test, 17's and 18's were the sweet spot on the car they tested.

From what I've gathered, a smaller sidewall does improve handling but I believe there's a limit to how small you can go before handling is sacrificed.

Last edited by waykooljr; 09-17-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
Would be interesting to see a shoot out with the same Mustang and driver, 18's vs 20's. Showing a video of a bunch of cars running 20's doesn't prove anything other than they chose to run 20's. As the driver said, the car was set up for street and SEMA.

I read this article from Car and Driver, Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

Granted it's not a Mustang, nor do they test 20's, but from there test, 17's and 18's were the sweet spot on the car they tested.

From what I've gathered, a smaller sidewall does improve handling but I believe there's a limit to how small you can go before handling is sacrificed.
17 to 18's are the sweet spot on FWD and AWD sedans.

On RWD vehichles with a power to weight ratio that exceeds 8Lbs per HP like Ferrarri and Mecedes and BMW M-series they already did similar studies showing vehicles loading that power to the 2 rear wheels benefit from the 19 to 20 inch pocket. Thus their performance lines come equipped as such.

Each application has its sweet spot.

Any streetable car can be setup for autocross SEMA. The Boss 302 is such a car that comes from the showroom floor with a set of 19 inch wheels and an appointment out the door to go to a track session and put the vehicle through its paces on a closed course with professional instruction.

So does the GT 500. For that matter so does a Z06, LS2, SRT Challenger or Charger, AMG, Roush, Saleen, etc etc....In fact Roush comes equipped with 20 inchers running on Cooper RS3-S (AKA Mickey Thompson Street Comp) And that's the pocket they choose as the sweet spot for their vehicles performance. Not just looks.

They choose tested optimal packages for a high performance and streetable vehicle....not a straight line quarter horse.

Most performance cars today including modern American Muscle can pull double duty as a purpose built car that can go fast and zigs ...

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 09-18-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
drag Radials are optimal for 17 to 20 inch wheels.
Droppin' knowledge, lol. What track do you race at?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Pocono Downs....and the once a month autocross events for the NEPA Corvette Club.

Why? Is there a problem. I believe Hoosiers might only make Drag radials for 17 and up to 20 inch only now.

I'll have to check.

Their Bias ply tires are still made for as small as 15 inch wheels last I checked.

Then again if you're equipping bias ply you should also be putting down serious HP beyond the average bolt ons. The bias ply are usually seen on top end dragsters with ET's in the 6's to low 7's ...

bTW....why do you care anyway? it's not like you were at drag week proving to all those daily drivers... Why those teeny wheels can't get close to the average ET's they laid down over 5 days between 5 tracks with over 300 miles between each track to travel each day in the car they're racing.

Hmmm.

You could meet me on the highway and stomp on me a bit.... Just until the Hoosiers blow out from having to sustain a top speed above 120 for more than 12 seconds. then I can toss out a can of fix flat as I pass you hitting 180MPH.?..

All in good fun of course. know the limits of your application.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 09-17-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: For diabolical
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

When I bought my car used, it came with 20 inch Cobra R wheels. I lowered the Mustang with Eibach pro-kit springs and the ride is pretty rough. Cornering feels much better, however the pot holes, bumps, dips and debri on the road make it a rough and harsh ride at times. Thankfully, the roads around here are in decent shape and I don't worry too much about big pot holes and destroying my wheels. I purchased my Sumitomo HTRZII's tires from Tire Rack and only paid $119 a piece, plus shipping. I had them shipped to a local NTB store and they installed. Price is good, but they are not the best tires either. IMO, I would prefer 18 inch wheels over the 20's. Less weight and more rubber! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 09-17-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
When I bought my car used, it came with 20 inch Cobra R wheels. I lowered the Mustang with Eibach pro-kit springs and the ride is pretty rough. Cornering feels much better, however the pot holes, bumps, dips and debri on the road make it a rough and harsh ride at times. Thankfully, the roads around here are in decent shape and I don't worry too much about big pot holes and destroying my wheels. I purchased my Sumitomo HTRZII's tires from Tire Rack and only paid $119 a piece, plus shipping. I had them shipped to a local NTB store and they installed. Price is good, but they are not the best tires either. IMO, I would prefer 18 inch wheels over the 20's. Less weight and more rubber! Just my 2 cents.
For comfort...yes 18's would offer more cushion on a lowered (hence stiffer) suspension, however the sidewalls would be taller and take away from the cornering ability. The GT's stock touring suspension actually absorbs much of that harshness, but if you're going to lower the vehicle its gonna just get more road feedback and feel rougher over potted and pitted tarmac. I really don't drive anywhere that the roads are riddled with potholes. And in the Winter a wheel/tire swap to 19's with a little more meat helps when there are uneven patches left from the road crews doing their thing to the roads I travel.

The biggest obstacles on the mountain roads I drive are deer. Hitting one of them on the twists....it don't matter what tire you're on you're screwed. Aside from nature's wild creatures popping up... there's the tree debris that hits the road after heavy rainfall or snow.... Again...I just slow down on those occasions. But the ride is as smooth and comfortable as the roads we travel.

If I lived in NYC i certainly would not be on 20's. But I have driven in NYC with my 19's on. And on the 18's on my SRT4.

I'll bet when you had the touring suspension on it was a better comfortable ride before you lowered it?

Still...looks very nice in that pic with the Cobra R's. Looks like a sweet ride.

Also if those Cobra R's are forged wheels you're not adding much weight over the smaller stock Cast Wheels. they would be lighter and Stronger and the rubber would also be lighter to offset any unsprung weight difference.

Just Saying.

And now that the car is already lowered.... the comfort difference would be marginally better on 18's since your suspension is already ...stiffer. Just lucky you didn't go with the sportline lowering option... That would be even stiffer.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 09-17-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?