Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going to install a clutch... any pointers?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Top starter bolt can be had from infront of the k member with proper extension also, and it also doesn't need to be put back in if u have that much trouble with it.
The starter is easily accessible in the S197s. That issue only rears it's ugly head in the SN95 and New Edge 4.6 cars.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

one of my biggest obtacles is I have a dirt driveway, so I drove it to NAS Pax... the car still wasnt really cooled off after sitting in the air for over an hour with a shop fan on it.... Im debating getting some plywood (to spread the weight pressure from the jackstands) and doing it in my drive way... Course then I'd need to rent a transmission jack
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Nah. I didn't use one. I positioned myself under the car with the tailshaft in my hands and the bellhousing between my knees. The whole transmission can't weigh more than about 150 lbs.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

So.. almost 22 hrs later I have changed the clutch. 2 stubborn header to midpipe bolts refused to come out, I ended up able to get one out, which had 3-4 destroyed threads (where the flange was overtorqued by the factory) and the other on snapped... I was able to salvage most of it and ground 1/8" off the midpipe flange to allow it to seat and be tightened. The car was problem after problem... getting the hydraulic clutch line off, the 400,000# drive shaft (exaggeration, etc)... but overall... it's done. breaks every hour or so, lots of slowly getting bolts undone with lots of PB Blaster... 4 trips to the hardware store to replace things....

Now, of course, the only problem is the hydraulic clutch portion... There is no bleeder valve and I didnt have a vacuum pump, so I went with the raise the driver's side and pump... alot.... It worked, for the most part, cept for some unknown reason I lost all the pressure (I think a latent air bubble of some sort) and then all the sudden it wouldn't go into gear... it seems to have resolved itself so far, but only 114miles on the break-in so far...

And it's like learning to drive again, the release is so low, considering I was used to driving with the worn out stock TOB, and the new flywheel revs faster, I've stalled it twice... but I'm learning

The quality of the clutch is great. (Exedy Mach 500)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Nice work! It always seems to take longer than expected with at least one trip to town when I try and work on something. I did a spring install over the holiday weekend and it took me 4 hours, with my dad helping. I don't know if that is a standard time or not, but it seemed like it was taking forever. Luckily my neighbor bailed me out with a set of deep well sockets....that's my next purchase.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Yea, I went to my buddy's house and used his garage... we had almost every tool... but we had to get new nuts for the header to midpipe flange (and used antiseize too!), and other more specialized things (I picked up a 90degree plier to move the hydraulic line)...

Oh, and the rumored bread trick in the pilot bearing actually works!

most jobs seem to take longer... though I did do both front brakes in under an hour once before
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Front brakes? 20 minutes, grasshopper.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

LOL, First time I'd done the brakes on this car, that hour time included lift, clean up, etc FYI I did the rotors, pads, etc
Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Nicely done on doing this yourself! Feels good I am sure.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Awesome!

I let a couple of seized bolts on my caliper brackets beat me today, but I'll be heading out tomorrow morning to try again with some PB blaster and a decent breaker bar...

What sucks is my trolley jack is borked, but amazingly (to me) the standard jack gives enough lift to put it on jack stands. It just takes ages with that jack.