Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Octane Difference???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Question Octane Difference???

I don’t know if this is just me, so I thought I’d ask. It is my understanding that the new 5.0’s are at “full power” on 91 octane, and will automatically adjust to whatever octane is being used. The gas stations I typically use (nearest to me) do not carry 91 octane, so I’ve been running 93 instead.

A couple weeks ago, I happen to fuel up at a gas station, that is a bit out of the way, that does carry 91 octane, and there seemed to be a noticeable INCREASE in torque and power. I could really feel it (or so it seemed) in the lower rpms.

Well, after fueling up with a couple tanks of 91, I got stuck filling up with 93 again yesterday. And it seems to have lost a little something as a result. Is this all in my head? I could see there being a difference if I was using a lesser octane than 91, but not a higher octane. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

im not sure since i have 93 octane here, but i think that my 91 bama performance tune feels better than the 91 race and 93 race tunes even when using 93 octane.

my advice would be to get a bama 91 tune, totally worth it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Could be gas quality. A station by my parents (in the "country") is ethanol free. Gas by me has ethanol. I get better mpg and car feels stronger with their gas.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Higher octanes should not have a negative affect on a tune. But you should be aware that even though your engine can adjust for octane changes, those adjustments are minuscule (single digit RWHP gains at best) in comparison to what a custom tune for a given octane can make (30-40 RWHP gains).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Higher octanes should not have a negative affect on a tune. But you should be aware that even though your engine can adjust for octane changes, those adjustments are minuscule (single digit RWHP gains at best) in comparison to what a custom tune for a given octane can make (30-40 RWHP gains).
It's probably just me then. Maybe I'll try running a lower grade, and if I don't notice much, I'll just save some money and keep running it.

I intend on doing a CAI/tune after this winter. I can't wait. I remember the difference that made in my '07 GT. And, at least I'll get my money's worth out of 93 octane then.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Could be gas quality. A station by my parents (in the "country") is ethanol free. Gas by me has ethanol. I get better mpg and car feels stronger with their gas.
I have been getting the 93 octane from the same station this entire time. I'll switch stations next time I fuel up. Great point.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

There is more chemical energy available in lower octane fuel. It does not surprise me that your car feels stronger with the lower octane. Run a tank of 87 or 89 and you will experience a similar sensation. The problem is that the lower octane fuels are also more volatile and prone to pre-ignition. To get the maximum efficiency out of your motor, you should only run as high an octane as it takes operate without pre-ignition. Any higher and you may not be consuming all of the fuel during combustion.

Last edited by breathegood; 08-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
There is more chemical energy available in lower octane fuel. It does not surprise me that your car feels stronger with the lower octane. Run a tank of 87 or 89 and you will experience a similar sensation. The problem is that the lower octane fuels are also more volatile and prone to pre-ignition. To get the maximum efficiency out of your motor, you should only run as high an octane as it takes operate without pre-ignition. Any higher and you may not be consuming all of the fuel during combustion.
That makes sense. I do notice, when running 93, that there tends to be more of a fuel smell to the exhaust right after I start it up. As if it is running a little rich on 93. It just sucks that it's so hard to find 91 around here.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. It will only be an issue for another couple months anyway (until the snow starts flying). Then, after I get her out of storage, I'll just do the CAI with a 93 octane tune.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Running a higher octane tune than the tune calls for will never rob power.lower quality, regardless of octane raring, will.

Quick Reply: Octane Difference???