Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My MT82 story

Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM
CharliePapa

Default My MT82 story

I purchased a 2013 GT July 2012 it now has 8900 miles on it. The car is babied 99% of the time. Back in June during a spirited 2nd to 3rd shift it locked in 2nd gear. Had it towed to the dealer, they covered the repair under warranty. After 3-4 weeks in the shop I finally got the car back. Now the shifter won't center in the 3-4 shift gate. Back to the dealer. A week later they say its fixed, was a slightly twisted shift rod that they missed the first time. Brought it home, now it left a puddle of oil under the trans. Back to the dealer, bad rear trans. seal. 2 days later brought the car home again. A few weeks later started hearing a strange clicking in 1st while coasting to a stop with the clutch depressed. Back to the dealer, they said it wasn't normal. (Compared to a new mustang on the lot). Back in the shop for a week, they could find what was causing the noise, so Ford has finally agreed to replace the Trans. So they tell me to pick up the car and drive it until the new trans ships, the problem now is it won't go into or stay in 2nd gear half of the time, not drivable.Back to the dealer. Now for the really good news, the new trans won't ship until November. Not ragging on the dealer, they have tried to make things right, in my opinion they have gone beyond what they are required to do, ( free loaner car the entire time filled my tank for all the trips to the dealership). My problem is with Ford and this POS MT82 trans. The only explanation I can come up with is they keep inventory extremely low to save a buck or these transmissions are failing at high rate. Bottom line is I'm not enjoying my Ford experience, when I do finally get it back it will be traded for something else, but not sure what. Probably the last Ford product I'll purchase.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM
CharliePapa

Sorry, should have gone to the GT discussion, not sure how to move it.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

According to you...Ford will fix it. The wait sucks as do the number of trips but in the end, they come thru....

Now you will never buy another Ford based on one experience with one vehicle. If I lived by that attitude, I would not own a car, a TV, have a wife, or have many other items of comfort.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Agreed it's a high performance car, like any high performance cars they break. It's just a machine, this can happen with any car Honda, BMW, Toyota we all remember when the Prius forgot how to break or was that one of their other cars but anywise.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

I didn't add up all the time your car spent at the dealer but you might have a case for a lemon law car. I know it would suck but may be better than a busted car that's always in the shop. See if you fit any of these situation:

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair
  • twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
  • twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard
  • once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
  • once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.
http://txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-...tion/lemon-law
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yelp all cars can have problems. I recently read an article about a man in Germany that bought a 160k dollar BMW. It sat at the shop most of its life bc the gentleman was so frustrated he took his new car to a big car show in Germany and proceeded to smash it with a sledgehammer in front of people that love BMW.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by CharliePapa
I purchased a 2013 GT July 2012 it now has 8900 miles on it. The car is babied 99% of the time. Back in June during a spirited 2nd to 3rd shift it locked in 2nd gear. Had it towed to the dealer, they covered the repair under warranty. After 3-4 weeks in the shop I finally got the car back. Now the shifter won't center in the 3-4 shift gate....
Welcome to the forum, CharliePapa! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM
RTGordon78

First off, sorry you are going through this - I hope it works out so you can enjoy the car. Second, I am glad they are doing their absolute best to resolve your issue at the dealer. My dealership has been great so far as well. Third, I think it is awesome that an actual Ford service rep frequents this forum and wants to help you out - thanks Deysha!

So, as I understand it, corporate still refuses to address this issue in an organized way, despite the widespread transmission woes experienced so far. Deysha, are you aware of any changes to address this from the factory? I just bought a 2014 GT 2 weeks ago and the more I read, the more nervous I get...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Most of the transmission issue I have seen resolved is with putting in aftermarket parts...... Like the legendary MGW shifter, guess what shifting problems go away.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM
CharliePapa

Sorry for the venting! I do love the car and the dealership has been awesome, but Ford corporate has not impressed me at all. Deysha: I'm at work now so I'll get back to you with the info later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My MT82 story