Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Most fun for a stock n/a 2010 gt first time around
From 3.31s to 4.10s (already have a tuner)
50.00%
Full exhaust (LTs, midpipe, axlebacks)
26.67%
Suspension (springs, shocks/struts, panhard)
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Depending on how you're using your car, I might or might not vote for gears. And if you DO ever go FI, 4.10's will strap you even more.

I'd vote full exhaust but ONLY IF you include cams. Cams and LT's go together like a CAI & tune on these engines.

Suspension is ALWAYS a good choice. Whatever power mods you do, you'll quickly need suspension work to hook-up. That was my vote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

4.10s in an auto are fun......even more fun with a supercharger! Longtubes are very cool but be ready for the big increase in exhaust volume. Both are winner mods IMO. Do it all man!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Seems like the suspension takes the biggest chunk of change to do and most parts are needed at the same time whereas exhaust can be put together over time (meaning you can buy LT and then buy AB's a month later). So I vote suspension. Plus with gears you're going to want to lower the car anyway so why not do it first.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Went with suspension and gears Cannot wait for everything to arrive so I can get it all installed.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo
I've wrestled with this, the idea of just going straight to a supercharger, and the consensus has been thus far that before I supercharge I should build from the ground up. That is why the mods listed are 'supporting mods' and not cosmetic or really replaceable like a cai, udp, etc. I have a very small tight knit list and plan on keeping this car for a long time.

So no, I don't hate you at all.

On that same note.. it looks like most say 4.10s. I'll be ordering them tonight or tomorrow unless the forums change my fate!
Good! I hate to be hated! LOL!

I disagree with the consensus from my own experience. Unless you are interested in racing around a track, or wanting the absolute maximum HP, I don't think the other mods are necessary. My 4.6L went from 300HP to 467 with supercharger and CAI. The 5.0L goes up to 575 HP. Unless you are going to drive the car like a spoiled 11 year old, the stock engines seem to hold up quite well. My authorized Roush dealer has had no bad experiences with putting superchargers on stock engines. I don't like 4.10's because I love to wind out the gears with higher gears. A personal preference! keeping traction is a problem even with higher gears. 0 - 60 times are controlled a lot by traction and big HP engines really come into play after legal speeds. A GT 500's 0-60 times are not tremendously better than my little 4.6L because of getting the power to the ground with a standard street tire and my car is a little lighter. 4.10's also take the supercharged engine from a really good road car with good mileage to a car working too hard at 75 MPH. I just like performance and don't believe in street racing, or doing burn outs! My little 4.6L runs about 4.5 Seconds 0-60 which is good enough for me and it still pulls very strong to at least 100 MPH. I don't drive faster than that for a lot of reasons! Have fun, but don't street race! I almost killed myself in a hot Chevy in the early 60's..... not the way to go! You don't want to kill yourself or somebody's family! Listen to an old guy's practical advice and have fun with your car!

Whoops! Oh sorry! I just missed your post about ordering gears, before I wrote this! I'll leave it anyway since I already typed it. Not meaning to criticize your decision! Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?-latest-engine.png  

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-18-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D

I disagree with the consensus from my own experience. Unless you are interested in racing around a track, or wanting the absolute maximum HP, I don't think the other mods are necessary. My 4.6L went from 300HP to 467 with supercharger and CAI. The 5.0L goes up to 575 HP. Unless you are going to drive the car like a spoiled 11 year old, the stock engines seem to hold up quite well. My authorized Roush dealer has had no bad experiences with putting superchargers on stock engines. I don't like 4.10's because I love to wind out the gears with higher gears. A personal preference! keeping traction is a problem even with higher gears. 0 - 60 times are controlled a lot by traction and big HP engines really come into play after legal speeds. A GT 500's 0-60 times are not tremendously better than my little 4.6L because of getting the power to the ground with a standard street tire and my car is a little lighter. 4.10's also take the supercharged engine from a really good road car with good mileage to a car working too hard at 75 MPH. I just like performance and don't believe in street racing, or doing burn outs! My little 4.6L runs about 4.5 Seconds 0-60 which is good enough for me and it still pulls very strong to at least 100 MPH. I don't drive faster than that for a lot of reasons! Have fun, but don't street race! I almost killed myself in a hot Chevy in the early 60's..... not the way to go! You don't want to kill yourself or somebody's family! Listen to an old guy's practical advice and have fun with your car!

Whoops! Oh sorry! I just missed your post about ordering gears, before I wrote this! I'll leave it anyway since I already typed it. Not meaning to criticize your decision! Have fun!
I agree with a lot you have to say. This is my daily driver. I don't whip around like an idiot on the road. I would rather be 'quick' than 'fast'. I have nothing to prove, I don't street race, this is 100% purely for my own entertainment.

But where we might differ is.. the way I see it I do agree with a little bit of ground work is needed before putting down the power. Tires are everything, the stock pirellis just don't cut it for me after a few thousand miles on them and I'm stock! So I picked up some ultra high performance tires. Suspension inspires confidence and combined with tires will hopefully be more predictable, safer 'spirited' driving. Lastly, gears along with the eventual supercharger just fuels my "..how fast can I get from 0 to the speed limit?" which often around here is straight 0 to 60. Enjoying the backroads and rocketing out of turns early morning while the interstate is empty.

I want the maximum fun factor I can get while still being responsible. I know I won't come into cash like this for good while so I'm looking forward to some really game changing mods.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D

I agree with some of what you said, but I actually speed less with 4.10s! With 3.55s or 3.31s, a MT can stay in 2nd gear until you get into the 70s. With 4.10s you have to get into 3rd at about 60. I find that 4.10s not only allow you to get up to the speed limit faster (with a reasonable right foot, I have no traction problem with good tires, though I am N/A), but also encourage staying under (or closer to) the speed limit.

OP, enjoy the gears - good choice IMO.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

It was a close call between 4.10 gears and suspension upgrades for me, but I voted for suspension.

These S197 Mustangs become a whole new animal with a set of struts/shocks, lowering springs, and panhard bar. The factory suspension isn't terrible, but you don't know what you're missing until you take the leap for suspension upgrades! Not to mention the new stance the car will have with lowering springs. It kinda turns into an exterior upgrade too.

Good luck with your decision though. I just wanted to through in my .02 cents!

Shane
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Thanks Shane, I actually sent you a PM requesting the AM discount code so I can make a purchase today.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Cool! What did you end up going with??

Shane

Quick Reply: Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?