Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Most fun for a stock n/a 2010 gt first time around
From 3.31s to 4.10s (already have a tuner)
50.00%
Full exhaust (LTs, midpipe, axlebacks)
26.67%
Suspension (springs, shocks/struts, panhard)
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Picked up the 4.10s per everyone's instruction here then I went with the suspension basics. New springs, koni str.ts, whiteline panhard, gt500 usm, eibach bolts and ford racing jounce bumper kit. Had a little left over and found a $100 bill stuck in the bushes coming out of the corner store so I got some axle backs, couldn't afford the LTs/midpipe. I think this will get me started. Really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Wow. Way to knock it out of the park! So much for choosing one option or the other lol. You're definitely going to enjoy the 4.10's paired with the suspension upgrades.

Let us know how the install goes!

Shane
Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Went with the Konis myself and really like them.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo
I agree with a lot you have to say. This is my daily driver. I don't whip around like an idiot on the road. I would rather be 'quick' than 'fast'. I have nothing to prove, I don't street race, this is 100% purely for my own entertainment.

But where we might differ is.. the way I see it I do agree with a little bit of ground work is needed before putting down the power. Tires are everything, the stock pirellis just don't cut it for me after a few thousand miles on them and I'm stock! So I picked up some ultra high performance tires. Suspension inspires confidence and combined with tires will hopefully be more predictable, safer 'spirited' driving. Lastly, gears along with the eventual supercharger just fuels my "..how fast can I get from 0 to the speed limit?" which often around here is straight 0 to 60. Enjoying the backroads and rocketing out of turns early morning while the interstate is empty.

I want the maximum fun factor I can get while still being responsible. I know I won't come into cash like this for good while so I'm looking forward to some really game changing mods.
I like your style Ranzo, I too would rather be 'quick' than 'fast' too. That sentence says it well! I'm the old guy that just passed you doing the same thing! I've just been too cheap to buy better tires! LOL! What do you recommend for a reasonably price tire that is much better than stock. You know, a better tire that gives you the most bang for the buck!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-23-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I like your style Ranzo, I too would rather be 'quick' than 'fast' too. That sentence says it well! I'm the old guy that just passed you doing the same thing! I've just been too cheap to buy better tires! LOL! What do you recommend for a reasonably price tire that is much better than stock. You know, a better tire that gives you the most bang for the buck!
I prefer affordable to "cheap"

Summer performance? Hankook V12s. They have great reviews, lots of mustangers run them, they're not extreme performance but they're definitely trackable and affordable at around $760 out the door.

All seasons? I went with Cooper Zeon RS3-A. UHP. Fantastic reviews, modeled after the RS3-S which is the Roush stock tire. If it's good enough for Roush it's good enough for my street only daily driver. A little more pricy I got them for $824.

Lastly would be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Another all season. Also fantastic reviews but I wasn't prepared to drop $1k+ on them after spending $1k on wheels/accessories.

The Coopers look fantastic, sitting in my living room right now. Waiting to pick my car back up then I have a date with Ford for mounting/balancing and an alignment while I save up the pennies for my LTs/midpipe. Money sure does go fast..
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo

All seasons? I went with Cooper Zeon RS3-A.
I have these tires in 255/45R18 and LOVE them. These replaced a second set of the OEM BFGs. The traction compared to the BFGs is night and day. Awesome in rain or dry. I don't think I've ever been so happy with a tire purchase. Good choice!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

4.10s FTW
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM
TJMeyer
1st Gear Member

Good choices Ranzo, can't wait to hear how everything turns out.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Got everything but the axle back installed. Waiting, working some overtime so I can afford the full exhaust.

Don't believe people when they say 4.10s are too much. I love how I can chirp second on command without any effort, acceleration is fantastic in every gear. I was actually on the highway running 5th the entire time and never had to downshift, it was pretty unreal. These gears are really great, no whine whatsoever.

Suspension feels awesome now. The stance is *incredible*. Working on heading to the Skyline hopefully next week to take some pictures. Rides MUCH better than stock, so controlled and drives where you tell it to go. No brake dive whatsoever even at high speeds. I was doing a u-turn on a very busy 4 lane street and kicked into 2nd gear just as I came around, hit the throttle and these Coopers just snatched the road and took off! Felt really planted and solid. Very confidence inspiring. This whole setup has been great. Cannot wait for the LTs and midpipe but best of all; NO increased NVH. Quiet as a mouse other than the motor.

Having so much fun with the suspension I'm really considering adding more and waiting on power. Sway bars, control arms, and relocation bracket I think to fix the geometry. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations. Sounds like you made the right choices. I love it when a plan comes together!

Quick Reply: Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?