Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Big Changes To My Car This Week!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:36 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

But I don't always follow that advice. :-)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Three boxes from Roush sitting in my living room!! Can't believe how big they are. Hopefully get the car in my shop tomorrow and at least get the PCM pulled and shipped.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

I'm anxious to see your impressions on the install and performance. I'm thinking of going the Roush TVS route this winter.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
I'm anxious to see your impressions on the install and performance. I'm thinking of going the Roush TVS route this winter.
As a mechanic I'd say I'm at least better than average. Done some intakes and carbs, a few tranny swaps, a few engine swaps. Clutches, routine maintenance all that good stuff.

I don't turn wrenches for a living, but if I am capable, I go for it. Maybe this will give you an idea about installation as I go forward.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
As a mechanic I'd say I'm at least better than average. Done some intakes and carbs, a few tranny swaps, a few engine swaps. Clutches, routine maintenance all that good stuff.

I don't turn wrenches for a living, but if I am capable, I go for it. Maybe this will give you an idea about installation as I go forward.
Thanks - that's about like me - capable if not all that experienced. I'll be interested to see how smoothly it all goes on. It seems like it's always the little things where you can't get something lined up while holding it to put in a bolt, etc...

Are you going with the VMP tunes right out of the box or starting with the canned Roush tune where you send in your PCM?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Thanks - that's about like me - capable if not all that experienced. I'll be interested to see how smoothly it all goes on. It seems like it's always the little things where you can't get something lined up while holding it to put in a bolt, etc...

Are you going with the VMP tunes right out of the box or starting with the canned Roush tune where you send in your PCM?
Not exactly sure at this point. It depends mostly on how easy it is to deal with my gears, tire size, etc. through Roush. I haven't opened the directions yet to see if they tune for that.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Congrats and keep us posted on the install!
Good luck!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
Not exactly sure at this point. It depends mostly on how easy it is to deal with my gears, tire size, etc. through Roush. I haven't opened the directions yet to see if they tune for that.
I heard that Roush won't make any adjustments for mods, but gears and tires would be pretty easy for them to do... As long as you have a tuner, I think you should still be able to change gears and tire size after the PCM comes back from Roush, too.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Got about four hours of work in on he car today. Made it thought the disassembly phase.

So far, the installation has been relatively easy. It is very time consuming though. Some of the steps are very detail oriented, testing my patience (you have to unwrap and reroute a bunch of wires).

Roush's instructions seem straightforward up to this point.

The only real negative that I've seen is the wiring. Some of the harnesses look like they are going to be plug and play, but some have to be spliced and lengthened.

That's all I can think of right now, but I will add more tonight as it comes to me. I will post pictures at some point I promise.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Ok, So you all know what a before picture looks like, but I'm posting one anyway.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Big Changes To My Car This Week!