Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Big Changes To My Car This Week!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
A couple of other things I did. I knew that the car wouldn't be running for a few days, so while it was still pretty warm, I broke all of my spark plugs loose. I've read so many horror stories about changing plugs, so I wanted to have the best chance of no issues. They all came out easy.

I used a Sawzall to cut the ears off of the alternator. Made pretty quick work of it.
Did you go ahead and buy the one step colder plugs, then? The kit you bought (per the link in the OP) is the phase 1 with no plugs or fuel pump upgrade, right? Sorry to pry - just wondering how you're doing it (or phasing the upgrades) as this is probably my biggest question: start with just the phase 1 version (no plug/fuel upgrade), get the Brenspeed package that includes both, get the phase 2 kit from Roush... My ultimate goal is probably the same as yours - safely max out the stock internals.

Didn't know the Roush kit involved cutting the alternator housing. Will the cuts be hidden afterwards, at least?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Thanks Jeff and Kevin. I'm definitely ready to drive it now.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Did you go ahead and buy the one step colder plugs, then? The kit you bought (per the link in the OP) is the phase 1 with no plugs or fuel pump upgrade, right? Sorry to pry - just wondering how you're doing it (or phasing the upgrades) as this is probably my biggest question: start with just the phase 1 version (no plug/fuel upgrade), get the Brenspeed package that includes both, get the phase 2 kit from Roush... My ultimate goal is probably the same as yours - safely max out the stock internals.

Didn't know the Roush kit involved cutting the alternator housing. Will the cuts be hidden afterwards, at least?
Not prying, no worries. I got the phase 1 kit, according to directions, Roush will send me plugs when they return my PCM. No fuel pump.

I figure with the Phase One, a tune from VMP, and a few other supporting mods like exhaust, maybe headers down the road, I'm probably getting close to where I want to be.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

You are correct...your colder plugs will be included and your current fuel system is sufficient for the phase 1 kit.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Got the front bumper of, radiator installed and now I have actual work to do. Back to it in a couple hours.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Got the front bumper of, radiator installed and now I have actual work to do. Back to it in a couple hours.
Isn't it funny how easily the bumper covers come off?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Got sidetracked by work today, so only got a few good hours of work in. Here are some pictures:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I was a little worried about removing the front bumper, but it was really pretty easy. I did break several of the plugs that hold the inner fenders on, so I will have to pick some up before I put the tires back on.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

That's all the pictures that I have. My phone went dead this afternoon. The fuel charger/plenum/whatever you call it, is in place, the front bumper is back on. I think the wiring is about whipped too. So if I have any time to work on it tomorrow, I should get pretty close to finishing. My PCM getting returned is probably going the limiting factor. FedEx is notoriously slow out here. Maybe I'll have it back Friday if I'm really really lucky.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Not prying, no worries. I got the phase 1 kit, according to directions, Roush will send me plugs when they return my PCM. No fuel pump.

I figure with the Phase One, a tune from VMP, and a few other supporting mods like exhaust, maybe headers down the road, I'm probably getting close to where I want to be.
Interesting - I had no idea Roush sends the colder plugs with the retuned PCM. That's worth another $90 so the only difference between the phase 1 and 2 is fuel pump and pulley as I see it. Makes starting with a phase 1 and adding a fuel pump, pulley, and retune later an attractive option if the 475 fwhp isn't enough...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Changes To My Car This Week!