Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
jcreynolds91

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
James Reynolds
Default Clutch wont bleed

So last night I replaced my clutch line with the SR braided steel one. Got everything situated and proceeded to pump the clutch per instructions I've seen on the Internet. After a minimum of 100 pumps the clutch didn't feel different nor was the fluid level different. I then had my girlfriend pump the clutch so I could watch the fluid, and I could watch it go up and down in the reservoir but not just go down. So next course of action, let it sit over night. Still nothing this morning. I've been super slowly pumping the clutch about 10 times an hour now, waiting to see if theres any results. Slightly firmer thus far, but I'm not feeling to optimistic. Does anyone have any advice they can throw my way?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
jcreynolds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
torinalth

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4

Granted I don't have experience with the current gen clutch (my 02 was cable not hydro) but for any hydrolic clutch, you need to open the bleeder valve to allow the fluid and air to escape the line. From what you typed you are not doing this. The process is just like bleeding the brakes. put clutch to the floor, open valve, fluid/air comes out, close valve, let clutch pedal up, check fluid level in res, repeat till happy.

But since I dont have a current gen GT, I cant tell you were the bleeder valve is
torinalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT
shlbygt500 shlbygt500

Try parking on an incline or jacking up the front end and pumping the clutch pedal.

2005 F150 STX SuperCab - Dark Shadow Grey - 4.6L 2V / 4X4 / 3.55
edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

There are no bleeder valves. When I did my clutch I ended up 500+ pumps, and even then as I drove, it scared the **** out of me. I tried to shift into 5th from 4th and it wouldnt grab enabling the 4-5 shift (but it released just fine), thankfully i was able to coast to the shoulder, another 100 pumps and it was good...

HOWEVER,

The approved method is with a vacuum pump; http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...25-post86.html
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

It's a self-bleeding clutch, don't need to worry about the valve. It takes FOREVER though. After I replaced my clutch and the line, I pumped the pedal until I couldn't any more (my leg was seizing up) and it started to come back. It takes a lot longer than you would think. After I was able to drive it around for a few days everything was back to normal.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement