Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Charge motion plates

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Default Charge motion plates

So a while back I put steeda delete plates on and love them!
Yesterday I was cleaning my garage and found my old plates. I got to thinking it doesn't look like it would be hard to modify them and use as delete plates. Remove the butterfly's remove the shaft that they're on weld the holes on the end and voila you have charge motion plates without butterfly's (and obviously the motor)

Or for the lazy people you could take some tin snips or something and cut out the butterfly's leaving everything else attached and you have basically the same thing.

Someone please correct me soon before I get ballsy and experimental
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

plenty of people use stock charge motion plates and do exactly that, remove the butterflies and basically force the shaft out of the plates and fill them in with JB-weld or similar and sand it smooth for DIY delete plates
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Seeing how it would produce the same gains and it's a hell of a lot cheaper why isn't this promoted more?? Not to hate on steeda but if I would of known this I would of definitely done it!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I guess some folks don't trust JB Weld or whatever...they don't like the idea of it potentially coming out and ending up in the motor.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
Seeing how it would produce the same gains and it's a hell of a lot cheaper why isn't this promoted more?? Not to hate on steeda but if I would of known this I would of definitely done it!
whos gonna promote it?
steeda wont promote a way to keep you from buying their product :P
most of us already knew how you can do it, just people may be to lazy to do it/worry about screwing it up, etc etc
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

If one was to use J B Weld, best to use the long cure original version. It get's harder and is resistant to higher temps. I'ld say tape one side of each port and poor in from other side, do 4 at a time, and let cure standing on end (J B Weld is runny until it starts curing).

Before going that route, I'ld check to see the diameter of the hole and whether or not I could find a self tapping hex head machine screw to fit in them with Loctite and maybe grind excess off inside the port after the locktite set up.

Beside eliminating the charge motion motor and linkage (and I guess it requires a tune) what would this mod do to low speed tractability and mileage?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Well steeda charge motion plates are a great way to upgrade and I wouldn't assume a company like steeda would promote it however it seems like it would be a really cheap mod for the power I mean at most jb weld $10 a couple hours of labor and a new tune your getting a $200 part for $10 !!!

I see people ask all the time about the cmdp and is it worth it well now knowing you can do it for $10 I'd say hell ya!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I doubt it would idle and run right without the tune that comes with it. When i bought mine I had to reinstall an updated tune, the holes and flow clearance is larger on the steeda even if you decided to cut the butterfly valves out of the oem stock ones. I personally would think it was a ghetto fix and know in my head it was there and bug me, until i just got the ones they sell that are meant for it. (along with the tune) which you dont know will work with that fix, the guys at brenspeed told me it wouldnt run correctly without new tune. also they dont help much unless you decide to do the underdrive pullys to make up for the lower tq loss. i noticed the difference untill after 3500rpm for the gains. just my opinion and no i dont work for steeda haha
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I have considered this. I don't trust jb weld. I'm going to try to get someone to tig weld mine
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, Steeda did have a part number for economy charge motion delete plates that I believe pretty much did what you're talking about, I think they got the castings before the holes for the butterflies were milled, but ...

http://www.steeda.net/newsletter/07-21-09-wd/

Quick Reply: Charge motion plates