Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

failed inspection

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Thanks Downloaded the OBD reset procedure and will try it one more time (as soon as the temp gets above 40 degrees). Tried a number of times and have logged almost 500 miles. I question whether there may be something wrong OBD system.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

The saga continues, finally took it to the Ford dealer after 600 miles and numerous drive cycles. After fooling will it for 3 hours the dealer told me the sensors will not activate due to CAI unit and the outside air temperature. What I’m told the mass air sensor gets too cold running and too hot idling due to the metal inlet tube. I’m told my options are to wait until spring time or put the original Air filter assembly back on. I’ve doing this for 3 months now and I ran drive cycles with the outside temperature in the 60s. I guess my only option now is the find a stock air filter and take it back to the dealer. I personally think there is a problem with the OBD system. Has anyone had any problems with their OBD system similar to this? No trouble codes come up.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

That does not sound right to me. I had replaced my battery some time back, it ran down totally so, the computer reset. When I went for the inspection the O2's came back not ready.. I drove it for about 50 miles and all was good. So in short, something else is going on and I'll bet the previous owner had this issue prior to the battery change.

According to the FED's, he is legally responsible for this if he sold you the car with a check engine light on and it will not pass emissions. From what I know, you're suppose to have your car inspected and pass prior to the sale and its good for 90 days.

Last edited by slickman; 11-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem, never could get it to pass with the c&l cai, I happen to have the C&L racer cai only. I decided recently to contact Bama to get some new tunes with the 02 sensors enabled. Recently had my car at a shop for suspension mod and asked them to run the monitors (test) while I had the new tune on it and it passed. Getting my inspection tomorrow, expecting it to pass but we will see.

Last edited by Murphdog; 11-22-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

I'm curious is the OBD system a separate system from main on board system or is it just a software program in the ODS. What would it take to replace. My guess in today's world I would have to replace the whole system. Any body have an idea on cost?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayh007
I'm curious is the OBD system a separate system from main on board system or is it just a software program in the ODS. What would it take to replace. My guess in today's world I would have to replace the whole system. Any body have an idea on cost?
You said you just purchased the car. if the car failed emission testing you need to contact the seller as he is responsible for all costs involved with it to pass. Its a federal regulation to be forthcoming about all failed emission tests as well as stating on the bill of sale that its a "tow away". Which means the seller would be exempt from any liability concerning it passing any emissions tests.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

^ Pretty much the same in CO where emissions are required, but I thought for some reason it was only 30 days here. The whole thing is a scam anyway designed for the state to make money.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

As I suspected, I passed my inspection today. Not a single fail on the monitors. So happy I don't have to swap the CAI out any more or deal with the drive cycle any more. The AM $150 for lifetime number of tunes was well worth it.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:02 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayh007
The saga continues, finally took it to the Ford dealer after 600 miles and numerous drive cycles. After fooling will it for 3 hours the dealer told me the sensors will not activate due to CAI unit and the outside air temperature. What I’m told the mass air sensor gets too cold running and too hot idling due to the metal inlet tube. I’m told my options are to wait until spring time or put the original Air filter assembly back on. I’ve doing this for 3 months now and I ran drive cycles with the outside temperature in the 60s. I guess my only option now is the find a stock air filter and take it back to the dealer. I personally think there is a problem with the OBD system. Has anyone had any problems with their OBD system similar to this? No trouble codes come up.
i dont recall, u have a tune right ? do u have a sct? If so maybe could get a new (emission tune). Have you looked under the car to make sure the sensors are there ?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
jayh007
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
i dont recall, u have a tune right ? do u have a sct? If so maybe could get a new (emission tune). Have you looked under the car to make sure the sensors are there ?
I tried the emission friendly tune from Bama (have diablo sport) didn't work after about 200 miles. Installed the stock tune back in. I performed a number of drive cycles (400 miles) no luck. Checked under the car the cat sensors are in doesn't look like they were tapper with. I don't know were the O2 or ev sensors are located?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: failed inspection