Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how much should I bargain/offer the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default how much should I bargain/offer the dealer?

Been looking at a 2012 GT, 31k miles in good condition from what i can tell,

what i dont like about it: white color, very ugly black wheels....but I'm really craving the 5.0 and it's cheaper than other 5.0's I been looking at.

The dealer lowered the sticker price to 22k and its been on the lot for many months now.

I'm willing to buy it only if the price is right, what "out the door" price should I ask for? If he denies it I can wait 'til next year.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

As the new 2015 Mustang has just been revealed, I'd wait if you can afford it.
If you can't, why not offer $22 OTD, or ask for 5 free synthetic oil changes.
I find that if you leave the lot, they usually call you back and accept or negotiate the price. It's about the art of the negotiation.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 427Roush
As the new 2015 Mustang has just been revealed, I'd wait if you can afford it.
If you can't, why not offer $22 OTD, or ask for 5 free synthetic oil changes.
I find that if you leave the lot, they usually call you back and accept or negotiate the price. It's about the art of the negotiation.
Yeah I SUCK at haggling with dealers. I never know what the best strategy is. I guess they can pick up that I'm too interested, so maybe I will be like, 22 out the door... and see where it goes. I think sticker price OTD is fair enough, thats usually what I end up paying on my cars, though I always find them pretty low because they have been on the dealer lot for a long time and the dealers just want to get them out because they start losing money the longer they keep a car.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Dealers really **** me off, the last 4 dealers I talked to as I browsed various mustangs had now idea what the term "s197" meant, nor did they know the 5.0 is codenamed "coyote" and they didn't even know that its 100+ hp more than the 3 valve :/

Yet they always sucker me in with their conversation skills into giving my name, phone number etc... its the way they talk makes me very uncomfortable and I feel rude if I don't comply and when I'm checking out cars they stare at me and I swear I can see them water at the mouth :/
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't be afraid to be rude. They're like lawyers; low-life scumbags (at least most of them) so don't worry about pissing them off. They need you 100 times more than you need them. I'm proud to say that I've been asked (told is more like it) to leave more than one dealership.

Decide what the car is worth using KBB or similar sites. I usually work from the private seller figure and work from there (both up and down, depending on the car and it's condition). And stand your ground. When they say they have to talk to the manager or owner, tell them to do it and you don't have all day. I've been followed out to my car with better counter-offers more times than I can count.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I paid less than the "Good" private party KBB value for my car from one of the local dealers. Make them go back and bring you a new number a few times, they aren't bringing the best to the table from the start or else they wouldn't make as much money. If they say they can't do any better and you're not entirely happy, tell them you want to sleep on it. Just make sure you know what you want to pay for it and what you're willing to pay for it before you start negotiating and don't budge on the "what you're willing to pay" number.

Also, see if you can find similar cars for cheaper anywhere. Use that as ammo. Even if it's across the state and you don't feel like driving that far, don't let them know that, tell them you'll go elsewhere if you can't get a good number.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

is it a base/Premium any other packages on it
I bought my 12 GT with only 2900miles on it just last month its a Premium model 6speed for 24k
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
is it a base/Premium any other packages on it
I bought my 12 GT with only 2900miles on it just last month its a Premium model 6speed for 24k
that is an insanely good price. either your dealer was on drugs or 30 people were murdered in that car.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

but ya its all good, im just gonna keep this car and save for a while, maybe some minor mods.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Well I bought in November in pa going into winter. They don't hold prices well this time of year so get a better deal then if I bought in spring/summer

Quick Reply: how much should I bargain/offer the dealer?