Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rev hanging=annoying!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I talked to a dude a Bama and he said it's in the programming Ford did. He said their tune will eliminate it so I ordered. I'll post up once I get it all uploaded.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Leroyx

Cool, I'll follow suit once I hear what you think of it.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Nstaley

Yes, tunes will help with the air/gas ratio and the maximum Horsepower but to me it sounds like you have a dirty TB. Clean out the TB and while your around that area, clean the intake and MAF. It might have so much gunk in it and that's the reason it's closing so quickly burning fuel. Also, I have read that the ford tune's were messing with that aswell. Goodluck and hope you get it figured out!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Heck, my car has only 15k miles. I haven't loaded the tunes yet, but I'm gonna clean the tb first to see what happens. I really don't think that's the prob, but I'm gonna try.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Dropped in my tune last night and the car is now a beast. The canned tune has better throttle response overall, but the Bama tune is way more aggressive at 1/2+ throttle. The hanging throttle is mostly gone... there's still a tad bit there, but it's not noticeable to someone not inculcated. Recommended.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Leroyx

Did you end up cleaning the TB first and did it make any diff?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Leroyx
Did you end up cleaning the TB first and did it make any diff?
Ah, yes I did. Very little dirt, cleaned it and it made no difference.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

the rev hanging is normal and is a known way of reducing Hc emissions. There should be no RPM increase associated with it, but a sudden reduction in load such as pressing in the clutch or putting an auto in neutral might result in an RPM increase even though TB position and fuel injection pulse are unchanged for a few microseconds after the load is removed.

Most of todays motors use this technique, but it is only really noticeable on manual transmissions. I know that Honda's are set up this way, and certainly my 2006 GT is. If tunes can eliminate it without giving state inspection issues, then that is great.

My CTS-V does not seem to hang as noticeably as my GT. But my CTSV (and all CTSV's) also has the tailpipes turning black after a few miles....my Mustang tailpipes stay clean (performance, MPG, and emissions for the CTSV are all within spec).
Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leroyx
Wow there sure is a lot of talk about dirty TB's on these cars, to those of you who have cleaned them do they really get that dirty that it causes hang ups etc and affects smooth throttle action? I've never had a problem with a dirty TB in all the cars I have ever owned.
I've actually seen a lot of troubles with 05+ Mustangs having a small amount of dirt in their TB causing the TPS sensor to go out of whack. There's a chance the dirt is amplifying your hanging idle issue, but some of it is definitely from the factory Ford tune.

If you do clean the TB, make sure you pull the negative battery terminal for 20-30 mins to reset the KAM memory in the PCM. When you turn it back on for the first time, let it idle for 2-3mins. Next turn the A/C on and continue letting the car idle for 2-3 mins. This should rebuild the idle KAM memory and you should see an improvement in the hanging idle.

Of course, this will only do so much. Most of the hanging idle has to do with the factory tune, as I mentioned. Your best bet would be going with a custom tune to smooth things out and pick up a ton of throttle response!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 01-31-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Leroyx

Alright the suspense is killing me, I'm going to clean the TB this weekend and follow Shanes's instructions. I'll post some pics as well.

Funny I'm still getting used to this car and have noticed that when the engine is cold the exact opposite happens. When shifting the rpm's drop like a stone to idle and this also makes smooth shifting a little tricky. I happy medium would be nice haha.

Quick Reply: Rev hanging=annoying!