Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone ever tint their own windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I know, I read about that awhile back and definitely plan to do that.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Ive tinted before...it takes a little practice. (but not much) if you only have the side windows to do...grab some pre cut tint on ebay and give it a shot (get good tint). you might get what you need for $15.00 or less. Its a small investment and totally reversible if you mess up. but with all the youtube videos that show you how to do it I think you would have a VERY good idea of how to do it yourself. I did my side windows and they came out fine. the side glass MIGHT bubble a little (mine did)...so, you may need to look into a heat gun. I just learned about the heat gun a couple nights ago. that makes all the difference for curved glass. I plan to tint all the glass on my new car....even the back window. I got 99% of my info off the internet and I feel confident enough to give it a shot. worse case your out a few bucks and you can always have a pro do it if your not happy with the results.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I tried to do it last summer on a day that was apparently too hot, the water was drying out before I could even get the tint positioned so I pretty much abandoned that idea. I did install felt on the driver's side, still need to do the passenger side.

I need to just take it to a shop, although I've also heard people saying the window guides on the early cars like mine scratch the tint?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't know about the window guides.

I didn't even mention that where I live anything darker than like 40% is against the law (something like that) so I normally avoid the tint shops because of that. so, Ive always tried to do it myself. just takes practice... But then again, there is always something to be said for when a pro does it. I just got my new mustang and I'm up in the air..I may end up going to a shop too. I want to make sure any mods on my new car come out perfect.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
If you or someone else does the tint, make sure you put moleskin on the weather stripping or you just wasted your money. Without it the rubber weatherstripping will scratch the tint.
I've never seen or had this happen.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
I've never seen or had this happen.
That's because your car came with the felt on the strips from the factory. Ford changed them in the later years.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:23 PM
DanielGT

I tried it once...won't try it again :P
Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Never try again myself! This time I even paid an extra $35 so if I have to tear it off for a fix-it ticket, they'll replace for free. CA doesn't allow tint and I went with 18%. But talking to CHP as long as you're not dicking around most will leave you alone.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
That's because your car came with the felt on the strips from the factory. Ford changed them in the later years.
I sold new Fords up to year model '13, had many models windows tinted, never seen this happen.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
I sold new Fords up to year model '13, had many models windows tinted, never seen this happen.
Good for you.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever tint their own windows?