Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP: Dropped valve spring retainer key into engine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
mylittlepwny91

Default HELP: Dropped valve spring retainer key into engine!

Thanks in advance for any advice, here is my issue.

I was in the process of replacing a broken intake valve spring on cylinder 1 and I got to the last step of putting on the keys. I was able to get one on but the second one I accidently dropped and it fell into the oil galley directly below the left intake valve on cylinder 1 (picture attached).

I had foolishly forgot to plug the hole... I tried flushing oil through the engine and draining it but was unable to get it out.

Obviously running an engine with a bit of hardened steel rattling around in it isnt a good idea. My question is would it be worth it to take off the oil pan to check and see if its in there or would it be better to take it to a shop? (I'm not used to doing engine work and need to get my car back on the road asap.)

I appreciate any advice, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Dropped valve spring retainer key into engine!-img_20140215_133433.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM
mylittlepwny91

I should mention, it's a 2005 GT, completely stock except exhaust, intake and tune.

4.6L 3v totally stock internals w/ 55k miles on it
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

To answer the question, if it were me, yes I would take the oil pan off before taking it to a shop.

I don't know if a magnet could hold on to the valve keeper, or if there is even enough room to try.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 PM
pinche_maniaco
1st Gear Member

okay this is what i would do find a strong magnet and run it front the back , left to right all the way down to the oil plug and drain the oil see if it comes out. and def check to see if its not wedge in the oil galley. ive lost an allen key the same way but on a detroit diesel eng. it was wedged on the oil galley. good luck
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
mylittlepwny91

Hmm, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, I may try the magnet idea but I already tried using a strong telescopic magnet to go down the oil galley and I couldnt get anything to come back up.

Only reason I'm considering taking it to a shop is from what I've read taking the oil pan off these cars requires a lot of work (removing alternator, throttlebody, engine mounts, etc.), and I really need her back on the road soon. What are your thoughts on that, is it really that much work?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You aren't getting on the road soon, face it. Take the car in or try what is suggested here. Take it as a lesson learned. You have to get that out, no matter how you end up doing it. We've all done similarly clumsy things over time.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
mylittlepwny91

Originally Posted by P51C
You aren't getting on the road soon, face it. Take the car in or try what is suggested here. Take it as a lesson learned. You have to get that out, no matter how you end up doing it. We've all done similarly clumsy things over time.
I realize it's not getting on the road again soon, I am merely asking for constructive advice on which route to take. I'm not a rich man and I like to do things myself. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Is removing the oil pan something that could be done with non specialty tools, in an garage without a lift (only jackstands), within a space of a couple weeks (having to work around my current schedule)? Or am I wasting my time even considering doing this on my own?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think in this circumstance it might be best to take it to a
trusted shop. reason being, is that they can do this on a lift
and make sure everything is put back together and torqued
appropriately.

if you've never raised your engine and lowered the K-member
at the same time on jack stands, i don't recommend trying it
for the first time while under a time schedule.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Sorry Bro, but I agree. I think after you try all the easy things (like magnets, etc.) I'm afraid you should take it to a Pro. Doing it in the driveway or garage w/o a lift would be almost impossible. Like somebody else said, lesson learned. One last suggestion, you might be able to borrow or rent a bore scope. Go into the oil drain hole and see if you can find it in the oil pan. If you do locate it, you might be able to drag it out with a bent coathanger. Just an idea.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The unknown is whether it fell all the way down to the pan or got caught somewhere along the way. If it's in the pan, you'll be fine. But, you don't want it stuck somewhere and then falling down and getting caught in the rotating assembly.

The boroscope is a good idea, try to see where it is.
At the very least, use a string flashlight and look down where it fell, through the head passages and down into the block, see if you can find out where it went, before removing anything else.
The oil pan is a bit of a pita to remove, but it's not impossible. You do have to raise the engine above the k-member to clear the oil pickup tube (unbolt motor mounts and raise the engine up). Although, that is only if you need to remove the pan completely; you should be able to drop the pan a little, and with no oil in it, look down inside for the key where it should have fallen. You might find it with a mirror and be able to get it out.
But, if the key is not found or not in the pan, then you have to remove the pan all the way and look for it in other areas. Yikes.

Stuff like this happens to the best of us. It just sucks, though.

Quick Reply: HELP: Dropped valve spring retainer key into engine!