Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about seafoam?
Love it
70.37%
get it away from my car!
29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

seafoam yes or no? + how often to replace cabin air filter?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default seafoam yes or no? + how often to replace cabin air filter?

Been following the manual's maintenance plan, and I want to keep this car running flawlessly as long as i live, (06 gt) though i got a small scrape on bottom of front bumper probably from ice and its got me a bit uneasy, not sure if i should fix it since it wouldn't meet my 1k deductible and its not really noticeable...

got about 35k miles on it atm, and i notice the manual frequently says to replace cabin air filter, I've never really done it on a car before, how important is it tbh? I my car usually seems fresh and clean in the inside so is it okay if i just hold off on it until i feel like it needs to be changed?

as for seafoam, I'm thinking when I hit 100k miles and do my maintenance then, I will run seafoam, but I have heard good and horrible things about SF...some people say its like taking all the crap off your keep and making them clean and new, and some people say it will screw your car to hell - so how do you feel about it? I saw in the ford manual that it advises against additives and stuff like seafoam.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

what exactly are you hoping to accomplish with dumping seafoam into your engine? dumping it into the crankcase is worthless; if you use the proper grade of oil and change it on a reasonable schedule, there's no "gunk" in there to clean out. If there is, then your engine has a problem and seafoam isn't going to fix it.

if you're talking about sucking it into the intake via a vacuum hose, don't. If you run any recognizable-brand of gasoline, the gas has enough detergents in it to keep the intake ports and valves clean. Seafoam is a mix of pale oil (light mineral oil,) isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,) and naphtha (paint thinner.) nothing in there is a better "solvent" than clean, fresh, detergent gasoline. Those idiots on Youtube who go on about "see all that white smoke? That's seafoam cleaning everything out!!!" don't understand what the f they're doing. The white smoke is coming from burning of the mineral oil in seafoam, nothing more.

it's a pointless, stupid waste of time and money. take proper care of your car and you don't need to worry about moronic stuff like this.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

I would remove the cabin air filter and check how dirty it really is. There are several videos on how to access it:

Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

In your other post you stated you want to only put 5K miles a year on it, so why are you worrying about something that you plan on doing in 13 years ?

But IMO I would not use it. Only running good gasoline will prevent the gunk in the first place.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have never used Seafoam; but have heard a lot of people do. I myself use Chevron Techron, a 20 oz. bottle every 5K miles. Works for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Techron rocks and it is approved by Ford.
SeaFoam is way overpriced for what it contains.
You are paying for the name.
It was fine for carb vehicles of yesteryear but
for the injectors of this millennium, its just not
that good for them. Ask any reputable injector
cleaning/calibrating service.
And if you are sucking it into your intake on an
injected vehicle, you might as well just be pouring
it out on the ground just below your tailpipe.
RoyalPurple fuel injection system cleaner is the
best out there for the $$.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok I will either use royal purple or chevron injector cleaner, Actually I'm a huge fan of the Lucas ones.

so all I need to do is pour it in the gas tank or should I also buy somethign to pour in the engine oil?

Im going to start using 89 octane fuel, its better than 87 and just a bit more money which I'm hoping I'll get back in fuel mileage and keeping my engine and fuel system clean.

as for tranny flush's (those with auto), should I do every 30k miles or is it okay to do every 100k miles or maybe 50k miles? (according to guide I'm due for a tranny flush, cabin filter and air filter and fuel filter....i plan to do cabin and air when they seem dirty, probably will do tranny flush and fuel filter around 50k miles)

Last edited by RazorGT; 02-14-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Don't expect to get anything back in fuel mileage by going up in octane without a proper tune. In fact you may lose some mpg. Lower octane fuel has more chemical energy readily available. That is why it is prone to pre-ignition in high compression and boosted applications. If your car isn't tuned for higher octane fuel, you will actually be doing a disservice to your engine. You won't get as complete combustion and you will begin to get carbon buildup......then you WILL need to use a product like seafoam to clean it out. Use only as high an octane rating as necessary to prevent pre-ignition and use a good fuel injector cleaning product like techron or bg with every oil change, and you should be good to go for a long time to come.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

should I also buy somethign to pour in the engine oil?
why do you think you need to do this? why are you trying to find a reason to dump something other than motor oil into your engine?

Im going to start using 89 octane fuel, its better than 87 and just a bit more money which I'm hoping I'll get back in fuel mileage and keeping my engine and fuel system clean.
no it isn't. The octane number tells you the fuel's resistance to auto-ignition and NOTHING ELSE.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Use the proper octane fuel the car calls for if not tuned, otherwise it is a waste of money. Keep up on all required maintenance at the proper intervals. This will pay off in the long run, and avoid more costly repairs down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seafoam yes or no? + how often to replace cabin air filter?