Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alternator talk...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Alternator talk...

I may have to replace the alternator on my '06 GT. I am looking at the performance alternators on AM. I see there is a PA which seems to have a standard pulley and an SR which has a pulley that looks like mine, with a black disc in the center. Is this the one way clutch? What's the deal here?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I may have to replace the alternator on my '06 GT. I am looking at the performance alternators on AM. I see there is a PA which seems to have a standard pulley and an SR which has a pulley that looks like mine, with a black disc in the center. Is this the one way clutch? What's the deal here?
Goldenpony,

The black centered pulley on the SR Performance alternator is just a black plastic cover. It covers the pulley bolt and prevents grime from entering. It's just to keep a cleaner look to the alternator after long term use.

Either of SR Performance or PAPerformance alternators will work well for a stock replacement. Technically the SR Performance is an "upgrade" since it's 5amps larger than stock, but a minimum upgrade at that.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Shane
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Where's the "Like" button...????
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch question

Thanks Shane, but that doesn't answer my question about the one way clutch. Do I now have one? Do I need one?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

My son-in-law recently bought a PA Alternator from AM. He is happy with the alternator from PA and service from AM. The PA alternator does not come with a clutch pulley. I believe PA on their web site sells a puller to remove the pulley from your OEM alternator. I have no experience with the SR so I can't answer your question on it.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Alternator talk

I am looking at AMs PA alternator and SR alternator. Is one preferred over the other? I see the PA (130 amp) has a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Thanks Shane, but that doesn't answer my question about the one way clutch. Do I now have one? Do I need one?
The SR alternator just has a cover over its standard pulley. Neither alternator comes with a clutch pulley. They're both equipped with standard pulleys. If you would like to use a clutch pulley, you can always swap the stock clutch pulley from your stock alternator to one of these two aftermarket units.

Hope this better clarifies things! Let me know if you have other questions!

Shane
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Alternators

Thanks Shane, maybe you can answer just a couple more questions. I see the PA unit has a lifetime warranty, how about the SR? What is the purpose of the one way clutch? Is it important? Would it be hard to swap to a new alternator? Special tools needed?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Check out this link from PA Performance, you will see there is a pull down to purchase the tool to swap pulleys for $18.95.

http://www.paperformance.com/scripts...?idproduct=246
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Thanks Shane, maybe you can answer just a couple more questions. I see the PA unit has a lifetime warranty, how about the SR? What is the purpose of the one way clutch? Is it important? Would it be hard to swap to a new alternator? Special tools needed?
The SR does not have a lifetime warranty. However, if you have any issues with it shortly after use, we'll stand behind the product and replace it. As we do with all of our parts!

The one way clutch really just helps with engine deceleration, by preventing belt slip. Honestly it's really minimum and not necessary. Most cars don't use one and they operate perfectly. Tools can be bought to make the pulley swap easier, as you see linked above.

Shane

Quick Reply: Alternator talk...