Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mil eliminators work for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

Default Mil eliminators work for 2013?

I installed an O/R H pipe on my 2013 awhile ago. No CEL with the Defowler trick for a few thousand miles. then suddenly I throw a CEL. pull the code
Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1
From what I've read thats the drivers side, am I correct? I've tried stuffing the defowler with steel wool like its recommended. But still no luck. I checked to see if I could notice any leaks in the exhaust..nothing...but holding my hand above the pipe.
So do Mil eliminators work on the 13? I know they were marketed for 99-04. but worked on the 05-09 model. Wish I never got rid of the set I had with my 06..but never had an issue with the defowler trick on it. Im just not sure if the O2 plugs have been changed on the newer 5.0 versus the 4.6 from the 99-09 models.
Any ideas? I dont want to disable the o2 because I want to get the defowler trick working for emmisions next year...I dont want to have to reinstall the cats...the pasenger side bolts were a PITA
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

If you don't have your cats, you won't pass emissions. "defouler trick" or not.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:00 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

bank 1 is passenger side.

mil eliminators wont work for you.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Actually, my post above was wrong. Texas is one of those states where their "emissions test" on an OBD-II car is to 1) make sure the MIL bulb works, 2) check for codes, and 3) check to make sure codes weren't just cleared. If all three are ok the car passes.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i didnt follow, why not turn off the rear o2's ?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
i didnt follow, why not turn off the rear o2's ?
turning them off results in an emissions "not ready"
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
turning them off results in an emissions "not ready"
i didnt see that as an issue based on post 4
Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
i didnt see that as an issue based on post 4
It's what #3 meant in my post. If you clear the codes or reset the PCM on a Ford, it stores DTC P1000 which means "not ready for test." It doesn't turn on the MIL but it's stored for any code reader to find. You have to complete a certain number of drive cycles without any faults for P1000 to go away.

it's there specifically to prevent people from clearing codes right before going for inspection.

so let me make it clearer. In Texas, you pass inspection if:

1) the MIL is verified to be working via the cluster "tell-tale mode"
2) the MIL is not lit while the engine is running
3) the PCM reports it's "ready for test" (i.e. no P1000 code)
4) there are no active or aging DTCs.

fail one of these, fail inspection.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

thanks fellas. got it all sorted this weekend. climbed under the car and took all the clamps off the h pipe. the passenger side had a half in gap between h pipe and the cat. guess when i had the ubolt bolts pointing downwards and it hit a speed bump it pulled it apart. pushed it all back together tightened everything down and been about 200 miles with no CEL poping back up.
So yup the defowler trick works. no need for the mils. I did use a total of 3 defowlers on each side though.
and yes cars will pass in texas with the defowler trick. we do not use a sniffer unless its pre-95 i think...so as long as the tech doesnt LOOK for a cat...then its not missing.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by R1nStang
thanks fellas. got it all sorted this weekend. climbed under the car and took all the clamps off the h pipe. the passenger side had a half in gap between h pipe and the cat. guess when i had the ubolt bolts pointing downwards and it hit a speed bump it pulled it apart. pushed it all back together tightened everything down and been about 200 miles with no CEL poping back up.
So yup the defowler trick works. no need for the mils. I did use a total of 3 defowlers on each side though.
and yes cars will pass in texas with the defowler trick. we do not use a sniffer unless its pre-95 i think...so as long as the tech doesnt LOOK for a cat...then its not missing.
This is the first that I have heard of the "defowler" (nonfouler) trick, lol. I did a bunch of research, it seems easy, and many other people say that it works. I will definitely be trying it out! Thanks, and I think I'm going to start with 2. The only thing that I need to find out is whether they perform sniffer tests in DE. I know they don't do it on normal OBD-II vehicles, they just plug into OBD-II. My question is "If the tech smells the exhaust, can he decide to do a sniff test on the vehicle?" I could always put the false cats on the pipes for visual, but don't want to get busted by sniff tester.

I'll have to continue researching.

Quick Reply: Mil eliminators work for 2013?