Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 Mustang GT Shaker 500 Radio Problems!!! - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 PM
shakeablegoose

Exclamation 2005 Mustang GT Shaker 500 Radio Problems!!! - HELP

I purchased a 2005 Ford Mustang GT with 30,000 miles on it yesterday. The shaker 500 system worked fine when I bought it. When I started it up today the radio would not produce sound but still powered on. I turned it off and turned it back on and now it wont even power on, it will just eject/load CD's. I already tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute and pulled the fuses(#56 and 30 I think) and it will still not work. Can anybody help me fix this problem?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shakeablegoose
I purchased a 2005 Ford Mustang GT with 30,000 miles on it yesterday. The shaker 500 system worked fine when I bought it. When I started it up today the radio would not produce sound but still powered on. I turned it off and turned it back on and now it wont even power on, it will just eject/load CD's. I already tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute and pulled the fuses(#56 and 30 I think) and it will still not work. Can anybody help me fix this problem?
Many people have had various problems with the stock radio systems. Mine was that when playing CD's it would skip to the next track early, or, it would make blipping noises which I guess would be the reader head skipping. It wasn't until last year that I finally broke down and went to Crutchfield.com and ordered a new JVC KW R- 500 unit that works really well and suits my needs. Cost me $160 to my door. I've read of others that spent significant money to suit their needs but my unit suits mine. I generally listen to the radio, mostly only listen to CD's when can't get suitable radio reception, so didn't really need a "changer."

You can find on the web videos that show you the remove and install on your car as I did. Crutchfield includes directions, which could be better, but they also have a phone number that you can call for help. I did call, I did watch videos and I got it done. I posted pictures of my installed unit on this site. One of my criteria was that I wanted to keep a cosmetic "fit" with the new unit.

For the most part the R&R went OK for me, took me awhile, those connectors between car and radio were TIGHT, when you are connecting the JVC wires to the Crutchfield harness some of the wires don't get used, and that was one of my calls. I also had issues with the console cover, I couldn't remove it because of the brake lever, but I was able to get it moved backwards enough the get the job done.

FWIW
Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

First mod I did to both my S197's was remove the crappy stock radio. They're known to fail and eat CD's. Replace it ASAP. I've done a ton of radios in S197's and they're easy. I recommend soldering, not crimping.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

completely disconnect the battery for a good 15 minutes, that should fix it. Mine did that a few times in the past.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
bfunke

Sactown - enjoyed your video. Looks like the dragstrip off Jackson Highway behind Mather AFB where I used to race 40 years ago. Is it?