Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I buy this supercharged 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Take it from me...Forced Induction on a stock 3v is a bad idea and I dont care what tune you have if you are over 400hp you are asking for trouble. Thats way too much money too.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

its all in the tune man doesn't matter what that guy says. 450 is the supposed breaking point but many are over that with no problems. And some under that have blown. It truly is all in the tune.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdback19
Take it from me...Forced Induction on a stock 3v is a bad idea and I dont care what tune you have if you are over 400hp you are asking for trouble. Thats way too much money too.
don't listen to jd, he blew up his motor with low octane fuel or too much boost, I can't remember which. Not to mention the hellion turbo is an engine killer! I'd only do a turbo on a built motor due to boost creep and spikes.

Both of those cars are overpriced! I wouldn't get $15k for mine and it only has 53,000 miles on it. The magnacharger is the cheapest supercharger kit out there too and the vortech ain't worth much either. If it had a whipple, kennebell, roush tvs, then i'd pay a little more.

I'd look for a lower mileage stock car and add your own blower later.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by moosestang

I'd look for a lower mileage stock car and add your own blower later.
Best advice ^^^^^^^^^.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Quake Guy

I paid $15k for a 2006 whipple SC no intercooler car in August of last year. Car had 48k miles and many upgrades, mechanical, cosmetic, shelby razors and fairly fresh tires.

This is in Phoenix, AZ and used car prices always seem high here. Even today here in AZ, a decent condition box stock 100k mile plus 2005 will run $9k easy.

Have spent $2k on new tune, tuner and some repairs here and there including a GT500 fuel pump.

Seems like 5.0L have come down quite a bit (at least out of state) since I bought my car so keep that in mind. If I had to do it today, I might just spend the extra money on a 5.0L.

Last edited by Quake Guy; 05-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quake Guy
I paid $15k for a 2006 whipple SC no intercooler car in August of last year. Car had 48k miles and many upgrades, mechanical, cosmetic, shelby razors and fairly fresh tires.
Maybe I should put mine up for sale. It's intercooled with an AFCO heat exchanger and many mechanical upgrades. Looks stock though.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So you run a higher risk with a SC'd car than you do with NA...big deal. If it's done right and the car was treated well then there's a higher risk for sure but it's somewhat marginal. It's pretty hypocritical of us to get on here and start telling this new guy "I wouldn't do it because..." then turn around and in other threads start saying "totally boost that, you'll never regret it!". It's not like any of us built these superchargers by hand and signed off on them personally. Best case, 95% took it to a mechanic who followed instructions from the vendor, then 5-6000 later we're done and happy, then 4% braved following instructions and over a weekend with a friend or 2 installed it, then 1% actually put forged components in and installed the SC. We all know most of the mistakes that have been made have been either poor maintenance, bad install, or abuse. Very few have probably had mechanical failures because going over 400hp at the crank. Face it, you very likely didnt build nor install your supercharger, so why do you write off every other guy's car who did as being inadequate because they put it on autotrader or CL? My rule of thumb would be get the kbb on the car, add maybe 4-5k depending on the mods, then lowball the heck out of the seller hoping they cave, but be ready to pay that amount because that's fair.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Maybe I should put mine up for sale. It's intercooled with an AFCO heat exchanger and many mechanical upgrades. Looks stock though.
OP - if he puts his up for sale, you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:23 PM
quinnbristow

No kidding!!! I've been looking ask arouand daily on KSL (A classifieds site for Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho) on craigslist, and AutoTrader. I've seen two on KSL with collision damage (NO!) For $16,000+, none on Craig's list. But the real atrocity is Autotrader. There are 20 or so SC S197s all across America, ranging from $22,000 to $35,000+! (GT only, no GT500)
I've been looking for 2 or 3 months, not a single mustang has sold. I'd really rather buy a Mustang that's already SC'd, I don't want to have to worry about finding the best SC, tune, etc.
I'm discouraged at this point. Everyone in America is insane.
If you're selling yours. I'm definitely in the market. I'm in Utah, and I wouldn't mind coming to you.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
quinnbristow

Hmm... Now I'm thinking about forking out some extra cash and buying a newer 5.0..
I'm really looking for acceleration, how would you guys say they compare?
It seems that all the Mustangs that i've seen are built to the blowing point with no forged internals, so lets use that as a benchmark.
Blowing point 4.6 vs stock 5.0.
Opinions?

Quick Reply: Should I buy this supercharged 2005?