Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Horrible MPG on GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
gryon

Default Horrible MPG on GT

So after owning my 07 GT for a month or so, I've been getting about 8 mpgs in the city and 14 combined. Im not sure if this is normal and if its not, what could be causing the problem? The car is completely stock except for a bad throttle body I replaced. Even before I replaced the throttle body, I had the same MPG. I don't drive very fast and I've been trying to granny shift as much as I can but it doesnt make a difference. On a full tank of gas I'm lucky if I get around 200-210 miles.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Check your tire pressures. Best to check the sticker on the drivers door jam for proper pressure.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
gryon

All tire pressures are normal.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Stang-Lover

you get a mustang for the respect and a side affect is the low mpg
Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What maintenance have you done?

Air Filter, Fuel Filter come to mind.

I drive pretty aggressively and get around 16 in the city which is what I drive 90% of the time.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Stang-Lover
you get a mustang for the respect and a side affect is the low mpg
Ummm..no you get a Mustang for fun get respect for bein a responsible person with integrity and taking care of your shiz.....
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
gryon

I've done spark plugs and oil change. I was thinking about buying a CAI so I haven't done the air filter yet nor have I done the fuel filter.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by gryon
I've done spark plugs and oil change. I was thinking about buying a CAI so I haven't done the air filter yet nor have I done the fuel filter.
Air filter will have the biggest effect on mpg.

If you are going to get a tuner/CAI combo in the next month or two, don't worry about changing the stock air filter, otherwise do it now and get the combo when you can.

Fuel filter should be done since you don't know when it was last done.

Also, is your speedo accurate? Since you're driving a manual, geared car it would be easy to have the car tuned back to stock while leaving a non stock gear in there. Your speedo and MPG would be way off at that point.....
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM
gryon

Yeah my speedo is accurate. and I'll do the Fuel Filter asap. I was also thinking of getting some chevron fuel cleaner, could that also be helpful?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All the chevron fuel cleaner is, is concentrated stuff of what's already in their gas. Just running a few tanks of medium grade or premium grade fuel will net you the same thing.

Some people swear by SeaFoam, before that it was Berrymans. I've never done either and don't plan to.

Also, while you 'think' you are granny shifting, you'd be surprise how what you think is granny shifting is pretty aggressive to other people

What can help is cleaning the Throttle body (TB) butterfly. if you take off the air intake hose at the throttle body, there is a brass/gold looking plate. It will probably have a ring of black gunk around it. They make TB cleaner that you can pick up at the auto parts store. Follow the instructions. Don't push on the plate too much, you can damage the gears that control it or mess up the low drag coating that's on it.

Quick Reply: Horrible MPG on GT