Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

3v GT, happy owners?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD
Default 3v GT, happy owners?

Are you guys running a 3v GT still happy with your rides?

I see them pop up as used cars and always thought about picking one up for a great deal.

Not talking about hitting 11's or 12's but in terms of pure driving summer enjoyment and stop light to stop light "fun".

I drove a 08 Bullitt with a 5 speed, 3.73's gears with an exhaust and it was the most fun I have had in years!

I am thinking a 3v with 4.10's, light weight one piece drive-shaft, hot rod cams, exhaust cut outs and lower control arms would make it a mighty fun summer car to cruise, and row through the gears in.

I had an 08 auto for four years, but it's just not the same as a stick shift.

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

13.3@102, stalled/tuned, 4685lbs.
stealth_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've been driving a 2006 3V 5 speed GT for like 8 years, 122K miles and I'm still in love with this car. It's the only car I ever ordered from the factory. I still have pictures with the plastic all over it the day it arrived at the dealer. I'm 67 yrs. old and it is the best car I've ever owned.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpony View Post
I've been driving a 2006 3V 5 speed GT for like 8 years, 122K miles and I'm still in love with this car. It's the only car I ever ordered from the factory. I still have pictures with the plastic all over it the day it arrived at the dealer. I'm 67 yrs. old and it is the best car I've ever owned.
Ditto.. I bought a 08 Mustang GT and though I only had mine for four years, it made a long and lasting impression on me. It was my first real pony car (I was 27 at the time) and never driven a "muscle car". I didn't understand or know what it meant to appreciate what you have until it's gone, but now I understand what pure driving enjoyment means. I haven't owned a Mustang in two years.

Sure, it may not be as fast as some of the other cars I have owned, but honestly, no other car has left such an impression on me either. Not the 93 RX-7 twin turbo I owned as my first car, nor my supercharged 09 Dodge Charger RT with the Hemi.

In the end, I always ended up thinking back to my Mustang and the pictures I still have of her. I miss it lol

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
BLACK-MACHINE
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 09 GT black

09GT 5 speed 91xxx miles and im trying to finance twin turbo's
oh i turn 55 on 4-20... best date to have a birthday on lol
BLACK-MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

A twin turbo set up would surely be great

4-20 sounds like an awesome birthday as well

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I sure miss my GT...

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Redfire GT Vert

Absolutely. There is always bigger and better, but who cares? Should you not be happy because GTs now have over 400 HP? Why? If you bought a new GT, (first you probably paid twice as much) there's still be the GT500 that's faster than you, and if you had that, there'd still be something else. Unless you're going to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on something, there's bigger and better. The whole point of Mustangs is for easy, cheap, and encouraged customization. The newer models these days are so expensive they seem to have lost sight of this. Sure, you can buy the power from the factory, but I can build it on a 3V for even cheaper, and it'd be your own. I love the look of the newer models, but I love the look of my car too, as I loved the look of my Cobra and my 97 GT.

If you've got your eye on one, I'd definitely say to get it. Like you said, 4.10s and a few bolt ons and you have an incredibly fun, and certainly not slow car. 350 RWHP is still faster than most cars on the road and plenty to have a great time with. Hell, you could beat that Hemi pretty easily with a decent bolt on build up (though you'd have to fight supercharger with supercharger, haha). I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see any reason to not still love the 3V even if it's from a generation before everyone cranked up the power from the factory.
1997 Mustang GT - GONE!
AJ06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
outceltj
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Mustang Gt

Been awhile since I have seen you on the boards stealth. You still have (I believe) a charger? I have seen you post in strip section. I can say that I have had mine since it was new from the dealer in 07 and I haven't looked back. I actually just got done doing the motor. Now I just need a good day to take her to the track. Im still in love with mine. I haven't had any issues with it even with the extensive mods. Aside from a few stripped studs that can be a PITA at times. I have really enjoyed my car especially after the torque convertor install. When u looking to buy another one?
Detroit Rocker Cams, 410's, Saleen Supercharger, afco dual heat exchanger, TCI torque convertor, stage 3 saleen supercharger, dual gt500 fuel pumps, SS Brake Lines, and Power Slot rotors, LCAS, Koni Adjustables, alpine touch screen, PA deep tranny pan, fluidyne radiator, dynotech DS

B302 added3/31/14
11.216 at 123.42MPH
60ft-1.558
Stroked & Blown
outceltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ06GT View Post
Absolutely. There is always bigger and better, but who cares? Should you not be happy because GTs now have over 400 HP? Why? If you bought a new GT, (first you probably paid twice as much) there's still be the GT500 that's faster than you, and if you had that, there'd still be something else. Unless you're going to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on something, there's bigger and better. The whole point of Mustangs is for easy, cheap, and encouraged customization. The newer models these days are so expensive they seem to have lost sight of this. Sure, you can buy the power from the factory, but I can build it on a 3V for even cheaper, and it'd be your own. I love the look of the newer models, but I love the look of my car too, as I loved the look of my Cobra and my 97 GT.

If you've got your eye on one, I'd definitely say to get it. Like you said, 4.10s and a few bolt ons and you have an incredibly fun, and certainly not slow car. 350 RWHP is still faster than most cars on the road and plenty to have a great time with. Hell, you could beat that Hemi pretty easily with a decent bolt on build up (though you'd have to fight supercharger with supercharger, haha). I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see any reason to not still love the 3V even if it's from a generation before everyone cranked up the power from the factory.
Ditto.. the new 5.0 is really out of my price range. I know they have come a long way, even since 2005 when you could get a base GT for $28k out the door, now they want up to $42k! The 5.0 is an amazing motor but not gonna go car broke trying to afford one lol

The S197 being my first Mustang it's the only one that's ever held onto my attention to this day. The 08 Bullitt I drove with the 3.73's really surprised me. I owned a few high hp cars and that 08 packed plenty of punch just rowing through the gears. I'd imagine with a little more weight reduction, it'll run even smoother and quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outceltj View Post
Been awhile since I have seen you on the boards stealth. You still have (I believe) a charger? I have seen you post in strip section. I can say that I have had mine since it was new from the dealer in 07 and I haven't looked back. I actually just got done doing the motor. Now I just need a good day to take her to the track. Im still in love with mine. I haven't had any issues with it even with the extensive mods. Aside from a few stripped studs that can be a PITA at times. I have really enjoyed my car especially after the torque convertor install. When u looking to buy another one?
Hi Outceltj

Glad to here you're still loving an enjoying your 3v. A torque converter definelty wakes things up quite a bit off the line, especially with a blower.

I still have My Charger and it's a blast to drive in the winter but in the summer it leaves much to be desired. It's a tank and I love the motor with AWD but I really miss how my Mustang drove and how light it felt. I had an auto last time but looking to get into a 5 speed. Not sure when, possibly soon..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

i love mine now i got a 2010 and an auto.
u have to remember these cars are gt cars and not sports cars..the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..no way i'de wanna go in one at 200mph..i find 140 fast enough for the way these cars handle...so the 4.6 is fine..
if u wanna sports car buy a vette
Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Stealth is back in the house..........nice seeing you dude. Yes get a GT. I love mine as much as day one 5 years ago. I could go buy a 5.0 easy but why? It would just be new. My car is all mine.....modded up over and over....I love it. Just washed it tonight, getting it ready for a huge car show this week. Get one and come back to the boards bro! We miss your input. I believe you may have been the one that posted the m90 thread when they went on sale 4 years ago.....you cost me man......its all your fault.....LOL... Woohoo....

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Trutrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, BMR, J&M, SS Lines/ EBC Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
12.23@114
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
i love mine now i got a 2010 and an auto.
u have to remember these cars are gt cars and not sports cars..the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..no way i'de wanna go in one at 200mph..i find 140 fast enough for the way these cars handle...so the 4.6 is fine..
if u wanna sports car buy a vette
I was actually very impressed by the stock suspension of my 08 GT as well. It felt very light and nimble, and very low to the ground. Something that my Charger is not, which is fine since I also like being in a "tank" lol. I actually thought about getting an 05 Vette, but talk about impractical. At least with the GT, I can drive it year round as I always have and it's been fine. Ditto on 140 being fast enough, as I been there a few times very easily in my 08 and though it was fun, I have much more enjoyment going from 0-60 or 0-85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
Stealth is back in the house..........nice seeing you dude. Yes get a GT. I love mine as much as day one 5 years ago. I could go buy a 5.0 easy but why? It would just be new. My car is all mine.....modded up over and over....I love it. Just washed it tonight, getting it ready for a huge car show this week. Get one and come back to the boards bro! We miss your input. I believe you may have been the one that posted the m90 thread when they went on sale 4 years ago.....you cost me man......its all your fault.....LOL... Woohoo....
Hi 808
Glad to see the gang is still all here. Yup, I still remember posting up that link to the M90 kit for a mere $3,895. I was so jealous since I already dropped $5k on the Vortech!

I really like the new 5.0 but it never really grew on me since my 08 was fast already with the 4.6, and the next logical step was to forge the motor. They really are charging so much for the new GT's it's ridiculous. But it's all good, that's business. Glad to hear your GT is still kickin' butt with that M90.

I been over on the LX forums, and though they're as hardcore as best of them, it never felt the same or like Mustangforums. It's also kind of annoying how so many post kill stories about their Charger's beating old *** Mustangs from 2001 or 1997 lol Being a Mustang guy, those threads always bugged me.

Yeah man, if I do jump on the deal I'll post up some more threads on my ride. This time around, my goal is gonna be more geared towards responsiveness of the motor, and acceleration from a enjoyment perspective rather than sheer hp or drag racing. Gonna start where I left off and get some Hot Rod cams ASAP

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

I still have mine, and still love it, although there's not much stock left... but it's still a 4.6L block and 3v heads... even though the heads are heavily ported and the crank strokes it to 4.75L.
Never mind what the guy from from the old country says, minor suspension mods and these cars can take the curves as well. Mine handles well at high speed and I'm hoping to exercise the turbos for a full boost run next weekend at Mojave... should have a new top speed.

danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Holy smokes.. props to taking it to a whole new level. Impressive standing mile and hp numbers

Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #15
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

I love mine. I could buy something MUCH nicer (thought about a new Aston Martin V8 Vantage, whole other league) but I just can't bring myself to leave it behind. The suspension is set up just the way I like it. I'm saving towards some serious engine work but like you I think I'm leaning towards more weight reduction first, then engine work. Financially, this car makes the most sense to me as well. Mods are cheap and it turns just as many heads (I think more) than any of the $100k+ cars I've driven. This 3V just has that "it" factor, that soul, that so many new cars seem to lack. There's feeling in this car that I just can't quite put my finger on with other cars.

Also, I've read about a dozen of your other threads and always found them to be very informative, so thanks for that!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks, I always try to help out as much as I can. Mostly through trial and error on my own part lol

I know what you mean. I have owned seven cars so far, and none of them have struck a cord in me like my GT has. Each and every car had it's strength's and weaknesses, but what I miss most is the enjoyment of driving. I haven't really driven or cruised around like I did in my Mustang in any of the three (yup, three!) Charger's I have owned since selling my Mustang back in the end of 2011.

Awesome vehicles in their own right, but they lacked the spirit the Mustang had. Doesn't make any sense, neither does me keeping so many of it's photographs around. I try cruising in my Charger and it just never felt the same. I even threw a $6k supercharger on my 09 last year, and though it was monstrous and fast as hell.. it never really felt right or "fit" my personality. And no, it has nothing to do with it being a four door lol

I realized that I just miss cruising, idle driving listening to tunes, coasting along the highway aimlessly, exhaust cut outs blarring, windows rolled down. I don't know, maybe I just need subs or an exhaust on my Charger. Sounds a little strange, but I felt free in the Mustang. Like I just didn't give a shiet. Let the cards fall where they may sort of thing. In the Charger, I feel trapped despite being friggin' enormous... at 4485lbs. and 120 wheel base it's quite beastly. It still moves on out with authority with the 5.7 though. So it's not lacking in power.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-07-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #17
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

For years and years, all I wanted was a V8 Mustang. I had to substitute other things for it when I was younger because I couldn't afford the insurance or gas, so I had a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for a long time.

Finally got this car when I was 30. Bone stock it honestly wasn't quite what I wanted, but I feel like now it definitely is! It has the right sound (full exhaust), the right feel with the hurst shifter and long stick on it, it looks good, has AC, gets about the same gas mileage as my turbo coupe did but with more power.

I can't afford one of the new coyote's anyway! I admit that I actually am liking that body style just a touch better, and will probably look at one of them as an upgrade sometime off in the future, but for now I love my car, still gets tons of compliments and thumbs up, it's all good
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs, Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M upper & mount, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 GT
chevchelious

I bought my 05 last November and could only drive it four times before the WI winter hit.

Coming from owning an 86 for ten years, man is this car so much more refined. Even the suspension and brake upgrades in the fox couldn't touch the stock s197 setup. Yeah it's a little heavier but not too much. I've literally put more hours working on it this winter than driving it but the love is still there. Even though I downgraded in power, the fox had 400+ 347, I know what I want to do with the car so I've started with the suspension first unlike the fox that I got when I was 18, I just wanted it Togo faster. Whereas with the 05 I actually have goals with it. Autocross and drift. And with minor engine mods it'll be plenty powerful. I have an idea what I want to do to add power but that won't be for years. I didn't build the motor in the fox until I had it for three years, so there's always time.

I too have had the thought of down the line getting a new 5.0 but it'd have to be 11-12, best front end IMO next to the 07-09 GT500.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I have an 05 GT convertible with 4.10's, full offroad exhaust, and adding the bolt on breathing mods and tune next week. I love it still and have a blast driving every day.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
.....the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..
You need to change your rhetoric mmmmkay?
Your freaking 2010 isn't a huge improvement at all over an 09 car so bite it.
In fact it's even heavier, which is a nono when it comes to handling and suspension efficiency...

I will agree with you about your comment on the Vette though, providing it has a manual trans... trademark of a true sports car.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement