Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

If you're planning to drag race then stay away from the track pack. The Torsen won't hold up to the abuse of clutch dumps for very long.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
If you're planning to drag race then stay away from the track pack. The Torsen won't hold up to the abuse of clutch dumps for very long.
Can you explain this a little more? What is the Torsen and what makes it different? Can this be reinforced?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The Torsen that comes with the track pack and in the Boss cars are made for the road course, not the drag strip. They can break rather quickly under hard launches at the strip.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I just got the Brembo pkg. which has the 19" wheels and what Ford refers to as "aggressive suspension tuning" and I have found this fine for a DD. I suspect my set up is somewhere between the non-Brembo and the full on Track Pack? Seems like a good compromise to me.

I do like the Brembos though.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Aftermarket parts don't count on resale! I got the track pack by pure luck, but I'm glad I did. I got a G.T. base with track pack, Recaro's and the Brembo wheels match my paint. I added a Ford Racing 2" drop, and a special tune from Ford Racing, a real nice shifter, and Magnaflow axle backs. This is not my first Stang, and I would rather have this car than any G.T. Premium I have ever owned. Good Luck! [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 AM
berzerk_1980

Hey, thought I'd post an update... I decided since I could still make changes that I would add the track pack. I just decided it was crazy to purchase a 420 HP vehicle and not purchase the factory performance package unless I had a really good reason.

Most everyone says that the "aggressive" suspension is either fine or too soft (and no one says it's too hard), I decided to "risk" it -- if the suspension is too hard I'll get some kind of adjustable jobber later.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dan
Old 04-25-2014, 01:11 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by scottmach
The Torsen that comes with the track pack and in the Boss cars are made for the road course, not the drag strip. They can break rather quickly under hard launches at the strip.
I kind of thought I wanted to try my hand at drag racing, but not necessarily seriously. But of course I would like my own quarter mile time with a strip right down the street.

So can this be done at all without destroying the diff? BTW I was thinking about getting the Trackey later, which would add launch control...
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
I just got the Brembo pkg. which has the 19" wheels and what Ford refers to as "aggressive suspension tuning" and I have found this fine for a DD. I suspect my set up is somewhere between the non-Brembo and the full on Track Pack? Seems like a good compromise to me.

I do like the Brembos though.
I know I am the noob asking questions, but I think the Brembo suspension and the TP suspension are the same. My understanding is the Track Pack is the Brembo Pack plus the radiator, oil cooler and TORSEN diff upgrades. Rumor has it there are other undocumented upgrades that are less exciting like control arms or bushings.

Anyway, your comment that it was "fine" (among other similar comments throughout the interwebs) led me to my conclusion that I should not let the suspension tuning scare me away when otherwise it looks like an amazing value; so thanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Sometimes you gotta pay to play. But u should be ok however I wouldn't suggest going down the street and trying rip off a good 1/4 mile time. Go to the track
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Can't help to wonder...
Worrying about a track pack for the quarter mile set up?
I'd ordered the car with an auto first.
Unless you're not too serious about drag racing.

If you meant road course, disregard this post.

Quick Reply: Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?