Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 AM
berzerk_1980

Default Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?

Hey y'all,

I've been looking at the GTs since the 5.0 Coyote came out... Finally decided to pull the trigger while I could still get the solid rear axle and retro body style, so I ordered a 2014 GT.

The build is pretty simple, GT Premium MT with 3.55, comfort package, security and rear camera. I didn't order the Track Pack for a couple reasons: I like the standard 18" wheel design, I think a spare tire is useful, and I'm concerned the Track Pack/Brembo suspension is too hard for a DD -- but I only had the chance to test drive the non-TP so I don't know for sure.

I also have an S2000 so I figured, "That would be plenty fun on the track if I decide to go."

But everyone seems to love their TP GTs! I can not find any reviews on non-TP cars or comparisons between the two, so I just can't shake the feeling I should have ordered the TP. Not sure if I can still change my order, but assuming I could, should I? Or just do aftermarket upgrades if necessary?

Thanks in advance! Dan
Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

if you're not planning on taking it on a track, there's no reason to get the Track Pack. I'm not going to pay extra for something that'll make the ride worse just so I can say I have it.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

day to day the stock brakes work just fine. and for what they were charging extra for the brembos you can pick them up aftermarket for cheaper. the track pack rims...i didnt care for.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yea easy mod u can do urself
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

I have been there before. I did some research, got the vehicle, then a little later I find out I missed something that would have impacted my decision. If it makes you feel better, I saw a review that got better acceleration results from the non-TP version, but they stated that could be coincidence. So, in other words, as a DD etc, it's probably no big deal. My biggest issues were it had to be MT and 3.73 rear, because that's one less thing for me to upgrade
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by Troponin
I have been there before. I did some research, got the vehicle, then a little later I find out I missed something that would have impacted my decision. If it makes you feel better, I saw a review that got better acceleration results from the non-TP version, but they stated that could be coincidence. So, in other words, as a DD etc, it's probably no big deal. My biggest issues were it had to be MT and 3.73 rear, because that's one less thing for me to upgrade
Hey, does that mean you found a review comparing a TP and non-TP?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hey, does that mean you found a review comparing a TP and non-TP?
Not really. I think what happened was, they simply did two reviews, might have even been a year apart. They simply noted in their later review that their non-TP car had slightly better numbers, but that it might have just been coincidence.

The larger radiator and oil cooler come in handy during hot days at the track when you're running it hard for hours. The brakes are the only thing I can think of that MIGHT help a little when spirited driving around on twisty roads. Performance will be the same otherwise, because it's simply a cooling advantage otherwise.

Honestly, an oil cooler and radiator aren't a huge upgrade either, even if you wanted to add them later.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
berzerk_1980

Thanks for the replies so far.

I spoke to the dealer today and was told I can still make changes for the next week or two. My build date is May 13.

So far all the replies suggest it isn't worth it unless I know I will be going to the track, which is in accord with my instinct. I'm thinking maybe drag strip but probably not a road course; at least not for a while. Any more opinions?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Thanks for the replies so far.

I spoke to the dealer today and was told I can still make changes for the next week or two. My build date is May 13.

So far all the replies suggest it isn't worth it unless I know I will be going to the track, which is in accord with my instinct. I'm thinking maybe drag strip but probably not a road course; at least not for a while. Any more opinions?
If you still have the opportunity to, I would change it for two reasons

1. Piece of mind that and you won't regret not getting it
2. Resale will be slightly better

If your budget is tight, and you need to trim the build up a bit, you need to consider what is the most important to you. Is it all out performance, comfort, what mods do you plan on doing or what could you tolerate adding later on out of pocket etc.

Again, when I bought mine, I was worried about nothing but straight line performance. So, 3.73 rear and MT was most important. Beyond that, it was whatever came with the car for the right price. I did end up with with a TP though, and there is a part of me that thinks it turned out for the best because I live in Texas, where summers get ridiculously hot.

SOmetimes I wonder if I should have gotten the Auto though. A lot of guys that are going for straight line performance go with 4.10 gears, then supercharge, and the auto is great for that.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

its definalty not too hard , if anything you may want go get aftermarket stiffer/lower springs and better dampers

Quick Reply: Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?