Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Soon to be GT owner didn't get TP -- Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by pascal
Can't help to wonder...
Worrying about a track pack for the quarter mile set up?
I'd ordered the car with an auto first.
Unless you're not too serious about drag racing.

If you meant road course, disregard this post.
You are right to wonder. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm not too serious about drag racing or road course racing. I haven't been to either yet actually, but I've reached a point in my life where I think I can afford the accelerated wear and thought I'd go try both just for fun. Depending on the course, I have another vehicle which is supposedly very capable for track (road course) use. Now I can take the Mustang too.

But apparently, I just can't have "too much fun" with the Mustang on the drag strip. That's OK.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I know I am the noob asking questions, but I think the Brembo suspension and the TP suspension are the same. My understanding is the Track Pack is the Brembo Pack plus the radiator, oil cooler and TORSEN diff upgrades. Rumor has it there are other undocumented upgrades that are less exciting like control arms or bushings.

Anyway, your comment that it was "fine" (among other similar comments throughout the interwebs) led me to my conclusion that I should not let the suspension tuning scare me away when otherwise it looks like an amazing value; so thanks.
You are correct the TP is just a Brembo GT with Oil cooler (including Boss Radiator) and the Torsen differential (with finned cover). The suspension is identical between the two.

I have been driving my Brembo daily for almost 3 yrs and it rides just fine.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

The brakes on the non TP 5.0 mustangs are great! The Brembo package is a lot more money if I remember correctly. I don't know if it's worth the extra money if your not going to use it. However if I had a choice if take the TP package over not having it obviously, but don't regret not ordering it. The only thing I can imagine it helping besides the actually using it to its advantage (driving) is resale value.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Any and all of it can be changed just costs money at a later date is all. Personally I love my Brembo brakes I have has a few instances where I had to slam the breaks. I was more worried about people behind me stopping rather than myself.....
Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
The brakes on the non TP 5.0 mustangs are great! The Brembo package is a lot more money if I remember correctly. I don't know if it's worth the extra money if your not going to use it. However if I had a choice if take the TP package over not having it obviously, but don't regret not ordering it. The only thing I can imagine it helping besides the actually using it to its advantage (driving) is resale value.
Actually the BBP is a $1,695 option. Considering it adds stiffer springs matching struts/shocks, GT500 LCA's, 19x9" wheels and the P Zero's on top of the Brakes it is a steal.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Thats a good point Black Fire, thats a pretty good deal for al that!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
tezz

I agree as well w Black Fire. I've thrown a lot more $ into my base model. The TP may not be the optimum pkg but as a starting point it's a deal.
I used to 1/4 mile, but nothing beats a track day for me!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hey, thought I'd post an update... I decided since I could still make changes that I would add the track pack. I just decided it was crazy to purchase a 420 HP vehicle and not purchase the factory performance package unless I had a really good reason.

Most everyone says that the "aggressive" suspension is either fine or too soft (and no one says it's too hard), I decided to "risk" it -- if the suspension is too hard I'll get some kind of adjustable jobber later.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dan
good call! At least now you'll get 5w50 from the factory and not 5w20