Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New car - shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default New car - shift ****

I'd like to change my shift **** on my new GT to a more classic styled ball. I've seen a couple on americanmuscle.com, and I've kinda narrowed it down to either the black or white resin one.

First off, does anybody have pictures of the white and the black shift knibs installed in a black interior car? I'm trying to decide what color I should order.

Also, I see it comes with a sifter boot retainer. Is this plastic or aluminum? I ask because they also sell a shifter boot retainer seperately that is aluminum and u was wondering if it was an upgrade item.
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Little different example, but when I ordered my Hurst shifter, they of course all come with a white ball. When it started to crack I ordered a black Lokar ball to replace it with.

Honestly they both look good, white gives you a contrast and a sort of a "hot rod" look if you want that (like the Hurst), black blends in more. I'm on the fence myself, I almost got another white **** but decided to go with black since there's no other white in the whole interior.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I'd like to change my shift **** on my new GT to a more classic styled ball. I've seen a couple on americanmuscle.com, and I've kinda narrowed it down to either the black or white resin one.

First off, does anybody have pictures of the white and the black shift knibs installed in a black interior car? I'm trying to decide what color I should order.

Also, I see it comes with a sifter boot retainer. Is this plastic or aluminum? I ask because they also sell a shifter boot retainer seperately that is aluminum and u was wondering if it was an upgrade item.
Thanks!
I think both of these shift **** options will look great. I like the Black and White shift *****. I went with the Black one my car just to match my interior a little bit better. In my honest opinion they're very similar and I don't think you can go wrong!

It depends on the shift **** you go with but most of the time the boot retainer is plastic. Some options do have an upgraded Aluminum version. You can feel free to ask our CS team and we'll gladly help you out!

-Dan
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I think deep inside I want the white one.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

I got the Ford Boss 302 shift **** and 401a shift boot. I think this looks much better than those adaptors. Really gives it that classic muscle car look. http://www.partscheap.com/mobile/pro...r3z%2D7277%2Db
http://www.partscheap.com/mobile/pro...3z%2D7213%2Daa
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Well, I got my shift **** today. What a disaster!

I was very excited and went out to the garage to install it. The shift boot retainer got stuck as I threaded it down over the shift rod. I had to use a pair of vice grips to get it off, and I found the aluminum shift boot retainer had cracked as I threaded it down. The threads on the shifter rod on my car are actually a little messed up; hopefully I can just chase the threads with a clean nut.

American Muscle refunded my money and acknowledged that they are starting to hear of this happening with 2014 Mustangs.

So, can anybody tell me what my options are? Can anybody tell me what size nut I will need to (hopefully) clean the thread up on my shift rod? I'm a little hesitant to order one from somewhere else just to have this happen again!

Last edited by GLOCKer; 04-29-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
The Sheriff

Check out the shift ***** & ***** from MGW.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_rally_...ft_balls.shtml

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2010_co...ace_knob.shtml

I went with a shift **** myself, but I'm waiting until I install the new shifter to put it on.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I've ordered a **** and jam nut kit from Late Model Restoration. I hope that works. I've also ordered a jam nut kit I found on eBay that looks pretty nice; black with the "GT" logo laser etched on the front of it. I may be able to use that with the shift **** I received from American Muscle. We'll see! I hope this works out! I really want that classic cue-ball style shift ****!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking of doing this on my 2014 with white but seems like it is more complicated than it should be. Going to hold off now. Anyone have better experience with this? Looking for something easy to install and durable - not plastic retainer (I am assuming the ****s in this thread is kn0b... )
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM
tezz

When I bought my Barton shifter, it came with a black Barton ball w metal adapter. I replaced that with a white Shelby GT 350 w blue stripes ball that looks sweet. Yeah, it's not a 350 but a tribute knick knack to the one I used to own. My buddy has a black ball on his 12 Boss. Either look and feel great.
No thread problems at all with these, but I remember the stocker was on pretty tight.

Quick Reply: New car - shift knob