Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

change rear gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM
ashleesmach1

Default change rear gears

I wud like to change the rear gears from 3.31 to 3.73 on my 10 GT auto. I know that I wud need to have a change to the tune. However I do not want to purchase a tuner. How can I get a tune for the new gears without a a aftermarket tuner?
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

You can't since it wasn't offered as a factory option. You would have to go aftermarket.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM
ashleesmach1

the ford dealer can't do it?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Nope.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM
ashleesmach1

oh darn well maybe I will have to buy a used tuner then. thanks Scottmach!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You can also just know how much you're off, and adjust your speed mentally.
For example, with 410 gears and tr6060 in 6th gear, the speedometer was 24% off (higher). So, to actually travel 70, I had to wind it up to 84-85 on the speedometer.

Eventually I got a proper tune and was able to correct it.

With 373's, it won't be that extreme
You can do the tuner later, too; you don't have to to that before driving it.

And, you'll like the different gears...DO IT!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
timhypo

If you have the cash to do the gears, save up and grab a tuner. And I'd beware of used ones, the way they work is when you load your first custom tune into a car, the tuner notes the car's VIN from the ECU and backs up the factory default tune. Then, before it will load a tune on another car, it requires the original car that was tuned with it to be returned to the factory tune. Therefore, if the person you get it from hasn't returned their car to a stock tune, it will NOT work with your car. That's the tuner manufacturer's way to make sure anyone who wants their tune buys their tuner. I tried to get around this myself when I first bought the car, thinking I could just get the local speed shop to flash my ECU for the CAI I'd just bought and installed for like $20 or something. Nope. There might be a way to get around this and it might even be BS, but that's what I was told and it makes sense. I'm all about buying used, but I don't think it's a good option here. Really though, for $350 or so, it's one of the cheapest improvements you can make to your car, especially weighed against how much it helps compared to other mods, and you need one EVERY time you change something. On top of that, it reads/clears ODBII codes on any car, does data logging, and more stuff I haven't even dug into yet. It's worth it.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM
timhypo

Originally Posted by timhypo
If you have the cash to do the gears, save up and grab a tuner. And I'd beware of used ones, the way they work is when you load your first custom tune into a car, the tuner notes the car's VIN from the ECU and backs up the factory default tune. Then, before it will load a tune on another car, it requires the original car that was tuned with it to be returned to the factory tune. Therefore, if the person you get it from hasn't returned their car to a stock tune, it will NOT work with your car. That's the tuner manufacturer's way to make sure anyone who wants their tune buys their tuner. I tried to get around this myself when I first bought the car, thinking I could just get the local speed shop to flash my ECU for the CAI I'd just bought and installed for like $20 or something. Nope. There might be a way to get around this and it might even be BS, but that's what I was told and it makes sense. I'm all about buying used, but I don't think it's a good option here. Really though, for $350 or so, it's one of the cheapest improvements you can make to your car, especially weighed against how much it helps compared to other mods, and you need one EVERY time you change something. On top of that, it reads/clears ODBII codes on any car, does data logging, and more stuff I haven't even dug into yet. It's worth it.

Oh yeah, I've got my 4.10s and am ready to put them in, too. Gears always wake any car up. I can't wait!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I know it's not INexpensive, but to me an SCT X4 is totally worth it for you. 1 because you need it for the gear change, and 2 because being an automatic you'll get improved shifts in addition to more power. That's a win-win-win situation.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

I installed 4:10's a little over a month ago with no tune. My speedometer is waaaay off but the ride is a lot more fun.

Quick Reply: change rear gears