Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mustang GT
Default Code p1289

So after I installed my Roush, I got this code. I read it with my SCT and it said "Cylinder head temp sensor high input". Does anyone know the cause?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2009 GT 5sp, Roush 560R package from Brenspeed, Stainless Works long tube headers, Koni yellows, steeda ultralight springs, steeda UCA/LCA, airaid intake, FRPP axle back, BAMA tuned, Dynotech DS, Godspeed wheels, GT500 Spoiler, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, AM Window Louvers, Agent 47 Mirrors
yourmyboybh1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

You installed your Roush what?
SpartaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

TVS supercharger.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Looks like it could be the cylinder temp sensor, which I think I had to some of the wires going to that, so maybe something happened.
2009 GT 5sp, Roush 560R package from Brenspeed, Stainless Works long tube headers, Koni yellows, steeda ultralight springs, steeda UCA/LCA, airaid intake, FRPP axle back, BAMA tuned, Dynotech DS, Godspeed wheels, GT500 Spoiler, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, AM Window Louvers, Agent 47 Mirrors
Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
alaskarider

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Your temp sensor is either unplugged or has a bad connection/ broken wire. It's probably under that pretty new supercharger.
alaskarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I had this happen with my KB. The bottom of the intake manifold contacts the top of the cylinder head temp sensor. The wire gets pinched, the car thinks it's overheating, goes into limp mode and your screwed.

Two solutions:

Order new and different sensor, trim the top plastic so it doesn't contact. Problem solved.

Trim the sensor you have, repair wire.

I replaced the old one with complete new wire and sensor as the broken wire was nearly impossible to fix and be sure it was fixed correctly due to it being to close to the plastic.

The sensor is located in the front left side of the valley under the manifold.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
I had this happen with my KB. The bottom of the intake manifold contacts the top of the cylinder head temp sensor. The wire gets pinched, the car thinks it's overheating, goes into limp mode and your screwed.

Two solutions:

Order new and different sensor, trim the top plastic so it doesn't contact. Problem solved.

I replaced the old one with complete new wire and sensor as the broken wire was nearly impossible to fix and be sure it was fixed correctly due to it being to close to the plastic.

That sucks!

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post

Two solutions:

Well, I'll try to take a look at that. I may just take my car to a shop since I have a lot of other problems I want to get fixed and I just don't have the time to do all of it.

One question though, would this problem cause my coolant temp gauge to stop working? Or is that something else?

When my car is warm, the temp gauge will work for a few seconds, but then just quit.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Don't know about that.

The gauges do have defaults they go to based on historical readings. Not exactly sure how it works, but the sensor will need to be fixed before you can really diagnose the gauge.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
jz78817
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
One question though, would this problem cause my coolant temp gauge to stop working? Or is that something else?
there may be more than one temperature sensor. Historically, the coolant temp sensor was placed near the thermostat, and any auxiliary sensors like in the cylinder head were there as "overheat" sensors.The heads are what run the hottest so a sensor there would sound the alarm that you're overheating before you ran the risk of engine damage.
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement