Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oh geez, I think I've f'ed up my car. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:36 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default Oh geez, I think I've f'ed up my car. Please help!

I ordered a cue-ball style shift **** from American Muscle for my brand new 2014 Mustang and it just went all down hill from there. The aluminum shift boot retainer got stuck so bad that I had to use vice grips to get it off. I tried to clean up the threads with a properly sized bolt, but the bolt started to get stuck. I cranked on it a little harder, and now the whole shifter rod is spinning around. Have I seriously broken something? I can't get the nut off the shifter rod and I can't figure out how to make the shaft stop spinning. I pulled off the center console and the shifter boot and it looks like the white ball at the bottom of the shifter is spinning. It still goes into all of the gears, including reverse.

What have I done? How do I fix this!?!?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:53 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

U should have cleaned the threads with a small file before trying spin a nut on it. Takes vice grips and a wrench a back it off
Old 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

First of all, DON'T PANIC! But it does sound like you broke or stripped a plastic retainer at the base that keeps it from spinning like that. Honestly, I put one of these shift ***** on my 13, but didn't look that closely at the base of the shifter. I will take a look as soon as I can to get a better idea of what you could have done.

Here is what I would do at this point to make it safe.

1. I would use the vice grips to hold the shifter shaft in place (as low on the shaft as you can. I would use a wrench or deep socket to try and back off the nut that you have stuck on there.

2. If you can do that I would see if you can get the stock shifter **** back on at least far enough that you are not trying to shift with a bare stick (that is a recipe for disaster in my opinion).

3. I would call your local Dealer and let them know EXACTLY what happened and see if the broken piece is stand alone or part of a larger assembly. order the part if they know exactly what you need.

4. If they need to see the car, I would VERY CAREFULLY drive it around a bit and shift several times to make sure nothing more major is wrong. There is a big difference in being able to shift it into gear with the car off and while it is on and rolling.

Best of luck!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Order a short throw shifter and call it a day. Stock shifters always suck.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I was panicking ridiculously when I wrote that initial post. Now I'm just incredibly upset. Owning a Mustang has been a dream of mine for 19 years. I didn't own it for a month and the first thing I did to it went horribly wrong!

I tried using vice grips to hold the shift rod and get the nut off, but it buggered up the threads on the shifter even more. That nut is not coming off until someone cuts it off!

Luckily, there are enough threads above the nut to get the shift **** on a little so I can still drive the car.

The bad news is now I don't have a reverse lock-out, so I have to be very careful selecting 1st gear.

I guess I'm going to order something inexpensive like the American Muscle SR Performance shifter kit to get the car back ”right" again.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I've ordered this to put the car back right: http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperf...-kit-1114.html

I hope I don't screw this up too!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Best advice...pay someone to install it.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

This is good news!! Now you have an excuse to get a short throw! I have a hurst and love it, the throw is ridiculously short, however I've heard the mgw makes the best for these cars. Just loved the way the hurst whiteball looked soo much
Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Best advice...pay someone to install it.
That is what I am thinking too....
Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
That is what I am thinking too....
Me too!!!

I looked at it and I don't know if I have the patience to deal with it. For instance, the rear two bolts on the shifter are under the body. I'll take it to a shop that has the right tools to get at it and sleep easier.

Quick Reply: Oh geez, I think I've f'ed up my car. Please help!