Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tick tick tick tick, what is that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default tick tick tick tick, what is that noise?

Hello

I have a supercharged 4.6L GT I just bought. The car runs like a rolex watch. There is this ticking noise coming from the engine that I thought was maybe a tensioner or a pully.

I did some googling and youtubing and found people having issues with lifters, cam phasers and some other things. Started to get me worried.

One thing nobody seems to think, which mine turned out to be was the fuel injectors. We put a stethoscope on the fuel rails and sure enough, a few of them just like to be chatty.

I suppose I can always replace them with quieter ones (the ones I have now I believe came with the Roush supercharger) but at least its nothing dangerous!

Just wanted to post in case other were experiencing the same sounds

Have a good day.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I would have recommended injectors: they are commonly noisy, some of them will tick like you are hearing. That's normal, or I should say, occurs quite often. Not an issue, other than the sound.

If you do change one or more, you risk needing re-tuning to make sure fuel flow is proper for the replacement injectors. Although, tuning would only be needed normally if the injectors have drastically different flow rates than the original ones.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

The Roush injectors are 38lb short injectors. It appears regular height ones wont clear... Unless I understand incorrectly. I also couldn't find 38lb injectors. I found 38lb injectors but was told a retune would be needed.

I'll live with it for now, but tick tick tick it sure tick tick tick is a bit tick tick obnoxious.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I was gonna say injectors by reading the headline. There just kinda noisy in the 4.6.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on noisy injectors. There's been a TSB on them for about 7 years. Unless they're ludicrously load, Ford will say it's normal. Many people here have mentioned their noisy injectors.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like it might be just one injector being really loud. I'm no motor doctor so if I decided to buy a few injectors for spares would it be difficult to play the Christmas lights game and find the one real loud one and replace it?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:38 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Do you know if there aftermarket due to being supercharged ? I would pull them out one at a time and see if something is clogging the jet
Old 05-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I purchased the vehicle used with the SC already on it. The previous owner bought it all from Roush Performance, injectors included. I read somewhere that regular injectors wont fit due to clearance problems with the M90. American Muscle sells 39# injectors for $310 for the set but the extra pound would require a tune and nobody can seem to confirm the injectors are any quieter.

I could video the motor running and link it here if anyone is interested. I'll be honest, a few more folks confirming injector would settle my nerves a bit. Its one of those noises that once you hear it, its all you hear and I'm started to tire of the ticking.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Here is a video I made quick with the engine at idle & at temperature.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Hey people.... me again.

I emailed my video link to Roush. They replied "about normal" so if anyone would know I guess it'd be them

I am happy they took the time to listen and respond in such short time, good customer service is hard to find now a days, but they nailed it.

Quick Reply: tick tick tick tick, what is that noise?