Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

brand new 2014 GT Premium....crap

Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Bruno's 06

Congrats on new car and I say better on windshield than having to fix paint.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Don't wash it when it's hot - supposedly that can cause a nice spider due to the quick temperature change (so Ive heard). Maybe get it filled until you have time to take care of and replace.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I did the 'no charge' crack repair once. All good I thought. Then I called my insurance company for some reason and they said "you had a claim" which we discussed and turns out they call a chip repair a claim and this eventually could affect your rating. Pay the $25 and get it done without getting insurance involved - IMO.
You can also buy a "Bullseye" repair kit at Napa or other auto parts store for about $10-$15. They work great. I always carry one in the car in case I get a chip then repair it as soon as possible so the crack doesn't start.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Onebullet

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Of course it's ****ty to have something happen right out of the box but if it's going to be something a windshield isn't so bad. I live in Alberta Canada and insurance here won't even offer coverage for windshields. I repair as many chips as I can but I've never owned a car here (other than the two new ones I have right now, but it's just a matter of time...) that haven't eventually had at least one crack that ran the length of the windshield. After a while you don't even notice it anymore.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM
dohc97

I had it repaired by Safelite and Geico covered the entire cost. I was talking to a guy when I was at Safelite. He is having his new Audi repaired for the third time in one month. That made me feel better.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dohc97
Thanks guys. I just scheduled my car for next Saturday with Safe Lite. Cost to repair is $138.

Anybody has experience with work done by Safe Lite?
Yea. They repaired a crack in my Tahoe window several years ago and it's holding strong. They came to my office and did it and then billed my insurance company. Didn't cost me a dime and it was seamless.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

A chip in your windshield is not the car's fault. That should not hurt your automobile relationship.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy
Call a windshield repair place. They have this resin they use to fix small cracks and chips. If done correctly you can't tell it was ever damaged. I don't think it is expensive either, some insurance companies even cover it without deductible. If you leave it it can get bigger and eventually crack the whole windshield. I'd get it taken care of ASAP.
I bought my '92 Thunderbird Sport in Fall 2006 from the original owner who lived just a few miles up the highway where I had seen the car since new. Just below the driver's line of sight is a star chip about the size of a nickel. The lady told me it was hit by a rock flying up back some several years earlier and that it had been repaired by SafeLite.

I had my doubts, figured I'ld have to replace it someday soon if cracks extended .... but here in 2014 it's still a sealed repair, the cracks have not extended and you cannot catch it with a finger nail. I'm convinced.

Sealing it will stabilize it, support glass edges, and prevent moisture from entering. I'ld fix it that way rather than a new WS.

https://www.safelite.com/auto-glass-...shield-repair/
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Call a windshield repair place. They have this resin they use to fix small cracks and chips. If done correctly you can't tell it was ever damaged. I don't think it is expensive either, some insurance companies even cover it without deductible. If you leave it it can get bigger and eventually crack the whole windshield. I'd get it taken care of ASAP.
+1. I think it is a law that the insurance company MUST REPLACE the windshield, not just repair it. I've had 3 windshields replaced free(at least down here in Florida).
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Criticalmass

In our state you get a free windshield replacement every year if something like this happens. it's mandated by the state and forced on the insurance companies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brand new 2014 GT Premium....crap