Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo Question

Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Default Turbo Question

It's been a while since I've posted here but now that my 08 Bullitt is paid off I get get down to business.

I've had fun with the NA stock engine and if I had my druthers I'd increase HP/Torque but keep it NA. That said it seems like that's an expensive proposition for relatively moderate gains so I've been considering superchargers and turbos.

I like roots SC's but I'd like to avoid adding that weight out front so I've been reading up on Turbos...did a search here before posting this question.

I'm interested in a fairly conservative turbo set-up. Something that I can run with stock internals.

Does anyone have experience living with a turbo-charged S197 as a daily driver? If so can you share your experience, thoughts, pros-cons?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I guess it depends on what type of driving you do. I had a Whipple twin screw supercharger before going turbo, and for the stock block, the whipple was fun, instant torque on the hit, the down side was that on hot days or extended driving it would get heat soaked and the power would drop.
The turbo setup I have has an air-to-air intercooler, so there's really no heat soak issues, but it does require higher RPMs before the boost hits, so for driving around town, it's like driving N/A. Basically any of the kits can be setup for power levels the stock block can handle, probably need to be 8-9LBS boost top for somewhere around 500 rwhp, the difference between the kits would be turbo lag and what RPM the boost comes in at.
I'd say between supercharged and turbo on a daily driver it's a pretty even balance, with the supercharger maybe being a bit more fun in town due to the torque and the supercharger whine... but I'm keeping the turbos.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

danzcool,
Thanks for the info. Nice car! That's the direction I'm heading...very slowly. Regardng my driving, my Mustang is a daily driver and I spend a fair amount of time on twisty hills. In terms of HP/torque gains I'm looking for as little lag as possible without adding the weight of a SC to the engine. That said I'm not sure how heavy a single turbo set-up weighs. The difference might be negligible at which point I might reconsider an SC but I am very intrigued by the notion of a V8 turbo. It would be fun to have something different. I see that yours is a custom built RET. I've been looking at the Hellion single but I'm not very familiar with turbo manufacturers. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I would say go with a SC if you are looking for little to no lag.

The Hellion kit is a good kit! You will definitely experience some lag to spool that 61mm compressor. Not to mention the difference in weight wouldn't be much considering the charge piping, turbo/manifold, and intercooler.

But then again, it depends on how much driving you do and your style of driving as dan pointed out.

Both have their pros and cons. Its all a matter of what your goals are.

My friend has this kit on his 04 Cobra and its a beast! But, the compressor sizes are different. That kit is a 76mm.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

johnny_raincloud,
Thanks for the additional insight. I've never driven a turbo anything and I'm just beginning to reserch them online so I'm not familiar with how little lag is realistically possible...though I've read advertiser claims no lag in a few places.
I've got more homework to do for sure.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why not something like a pro charger? It's essentially a belt driven turbo without the lag and heat soak is rarely an issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

PNYXPRESS,
Never knew such a thing existed. Checking it out now. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I had a Saleen SC on my 06 for a number of years, it is/was a get setup for a DD 489rwhp on 91 octane gas. I added a larger HE because it would get hot during the summer. With that being said I do drive my 06 around town every once in awhile with the turbo on it, and it is like driving NA until the turbo spools up. There isn't a ton of weight difference between the two setups when all said and done, and if you don't race the car the weight really should matter IMO.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My car was a turbo and I lacked the instant response at the track and on the street. If I had an auto tranny, I may have stayed with it, but I have KB now it's almost as easy as maintaining a stock car. Very easy.

Seems most guys with street cars really like the SC set up vs the turbo...But to each their own. Either one will be lots of fun.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:09 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Sactown, thanks for the additional info.

Simon1,
Sounds great. Is KB short for Kenne Bell? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Question